Looking for Some Guidance to Prepare for Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1062667

• Year in school: Graduating Senior/4th Year
  • Country/state of residence: AZ, USA
  • Schools to which you are applying: See List Below
  • Cumulative GPA: 4.00
  • Science GPA: 4.00 (This includes all the science classes I need to take.)
  • MCAT Scores: From July 2020: 504 (128/126/123/127)
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): ~400 Hours in A Cancer Prevention/Control Research Internship (This was more of a public health internship and did not involve any lab research.) No publications.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: ~150 Hours Local Hospital Emergency Department
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: ~100 Total Hours in Family Medicine, Cardiology, General Surgery, Oncology, Emergency Medicine
  • Non-clinical volunteering: ~650 Hours in A Wide Range of Areas (I am an Eagle Scout.)
  • Extracurricular activities: ~100 Hours in an Undergraduate Chemistry Club (with Leadership Position), Involved with A Religious Organization, Study Abroad,
  • Employment history: ~2 Years Part-time at A Pizzeria
  • Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars.: ~10 Per Week on Average (Most activities have been longer than 6-12 months.)
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No
  • Specialty of interest: Still Undecided (I'm leaning toward a surgical specialty, but I do have a genuine interest in family medicine.)
  • Shadowing experience: As mentioned above, ~100 hours with physicians across various specialties, but I've also worked with nurses and other providers for another 100 hours or so.
  • Graduate degrees: None (Considering an SMP or MPH but both are not likely needed given my GPA.)
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): Yes (I have lived in a rural area all my life, have shadowed several rural physicians, and have a genuine interest in practicing in a rural area.)
  • LORS/Essays: This is obviously a very subjective area, but I picked letter writers that knew me very well and strongly recommended me. I'm confident in my LORs. I'm also not a perfect writer, but I took the time to do a pretty good job on essays.
  • Other Factors: Low SES, ORM, First-generation College Student
  • Progress Made in First Application Cycle: Maintained 4.00 GPA, Became a Chemistry Teaching Assistant (~20 Hours/Week), Was going to do more research/volunteering but the pandemic has canceled everything.
  • What I'm Planning to Address:
    • MCAT: This is by far the biggest red flag I see in my application. Personal factors (pandemic-related) made it very difficult to study/focus and I did not perform as well as I know I can. I dropped significantly from my FLs, but I didn't have the time/energy to retake. I'm going to dedicate 3-4 months of studying full-time (no work/school) to get my goal score of 510+.
    • Research: I don't have much and would like to do some more. I'll be reaching out to a few professors in my university and get involved in a project.
    • Volunteering: I have a total of about 700 hours between clinical and non-clinical. Do I need more?
    • Clinical Experience: I don't have any clinical employment and only have around 250 hours of clinical experience (volunteering/shadowing). Do you think I need more?
    • Other?: I'm not sure what I should focus on besides my MCAT. Should I favor volunteering, research, or something else?
  • Schools I Applied To And Why: I applied to ~50 US MD schools. I paid for 20 out of pocket through AMCAS and 10 TMDSAS (interested in warm weather and cheap tuition). I also qualified for another 20 through FAP. A lot of these schools are much higher in average MCAT because I already selected them before getting my score back and had a huge fall from my last FL.

View attachment 324629

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like the only thing you're missing is the MCAT. Just retake the MCAT. I think you can do either volunteering or research if you enjoy those things or both if you can find time for it. I'm not sure if its too late to add DO schools if you're trying to start this fall.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like the only thing you're missing is the MCAT. Just retake the MCAT. I think you can do either volunteering or research if you enjoy those things or both if you can find time for it. I'm not sure if its too late to add DO schools if you're trying to start this fall.
Thank you for your feedback!

• What I'm Planning to Address:
    • MCAT: This is by far the biggest red flag I see in my application. Personal factors (pandemic-related) made it very difficult to study/focus and I did not perform as well as I know I can. I dropped significantly from my FLs, but I didn't have the time/energy to retake. I'm going to dedicate 3-4 months of studying full-time (no work/school) to get my goal score of 510+.
    • Research: I don't have much and would like to do some more. I'll be reaching out to a few professors in my university and get involved in a project.
    • Volunteering: I have a total of about 700 hours between clinical and non-clinical. Do I need more?
    • Clinical Experience: I don't have any clinical employment and only have around 250 hours of clinical experience (volunteering/shadowing). Do you think I need more?
    • Other?: I'm not sure what I should focus on besides my MCAT. Should I favor volunteering, research, or something else?
  • Schools I Applied To And Why: I applied to ~50 US MD schools. I paid for 20 out of pocket through AMCAS and 10 TMDSAS (interested in warm weather and cheap tuition). I also qualified for another 20 through FAP. A lot of these schools are much higher in average MCAT because I already selected them before getting my score back and had a huge fall from my last FL.

View attachment 324629
50 MD schools with a 504 MCAT that included a 123 subscore was a vast waste of money.

Retake the MCAT, but ONLY when you are 100% ready for it. This is a high stake, career deciding exam, after all.
Less research and more service to others (off campus and out of your comfort zone).
More clinical exposure. Try scribing, or doing COVID tracing/screening, if possible.

Reactions: 1 users