Looking For Some Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scentsy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I just wanted to post here to see if I should apply 2021 or delay a year my biggest red flag is my GPA, but I feel I do have an answer for that. I know I am capable academically, I just want to know if I need more work before applying.

I am a 26 year old URM with some bumps in the road academically:

2.96 cGPA
2.5 sGPA

completed 77 hours in post bacc and earned a second degree to attain the above, break down below.

3.83 cGPA
3.6 sGPA (30 credit hours of purely upper division sciences)

extracurriculars include volleyball coaching for 3 years
2 years research, 1 publication
Worked all through undergrad to support myself (2 jobs at a time mostly with leadership positions such as manager/key holder/trainer)
Low gpa is attributed to death in the family and living low income if I didn’t work I didn’t have a home or food
2000+ hours as a scribe
300+ hours clinical volunteer
100 hours shadowing cardiologist and ob/GYN

I will take two P’s this semester in neuroscience and calculus due to contracting COVID-19

MCAT: 512-515 on practice test consistently, test date is 1/21/21

texas resident

Members don't see this ad.

I wish you luck in preparing for your MCAT. Do your best and let us know when your official score comes in so we can begin suggesting lists. I would also ask you to reach out to AMSA, SNMA, and LMSA chapters at schools close to you or near the top of your wish list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent is Spanish ? Where is your state of residence ?
I am African American, I can speak some Spanish at the basic conversational level though. And I am a Texas resident

I wish you luck in preparing for your MCAT. Do your best and let us know when your official score comes in so we can begin suggesting lists. I would also ask you to reach out to AMSA, SNMA, and LMSA chapters at schools close to you or near the top of your wish list.
Thank you so very much, I will need it.

I am African American, I can speak some Spanish at the basic conversational level though. And I am a Texas resident
Where you apply will depend on your MCAT score. Post your score here in February when available. If your MCAT is at least 507 you could receive MD interviews.