Looking for your Input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wcj

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first post here, so I hope this is an acceptable topic.

I am doing a little "pre-research" for a paper my advisor thinks would make an interesting study. Having been around dental students for several semesters now, there always seems to be several that are going through orthodontic treatment (braces). Through my gen ed studies, I don't know as I remember any students with braces. I know adult orthodontics is not uncommon by any means, but most early to mid 20's people wouldn't exactly seak out braces without a good reason.

What I'm trying to find out is:

1. Do dental students have a higher than average portion of braces wearers in all schools or just mine?

2. If so, why? Maybe they just care more about their teeth? Maybe they get free or cheap treatment? Other reasons?

Those are my 2 main questions, but I have others. We'll see how much of a response I get with these...

It's a trivial topic, I guess, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

Thanks for your help!!

Wade

P.S. - And yes...I am one of those dental student braces wearers :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am one of those dental students wearing braces too!
I got them on a few months after starting dental school. I am getting them from a private office, not at school, although I did plan to get them at school since it was cheaper. I didn't end up getting them at school bc the appointments are too long and i have classes all day so it was a bit inconvienent. Also, I didn't want students working on me. ehhehe
I wanted to get braces before starting dental school bc I was kinda embarrassed that I didn't have perfect straight teeth and I thought it would be important to have perfect occlusion as a dentist. Another big factor is that I don't want my classmates working on my crooked teeth... I'm kinda embarrassed about it.
I think during first yr learning dental anatomy and occlusion, you realize how NOT perfect your teeth are and the more you learn, the more you nick-pick your imperfections. I'm really glad that I have braces and in a few years will have straight teeth. :p

Thanks so much for the reply!! After over 100 views I was begining to think no one was going to respond.

I think during first yr learning dental anatomy and occlusion, you realize how NOT perfect your teeth are and the more you learn, the more you nick-pick your imperfections.

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of. Most people probably don't realize that very few people have a perfect bite.

Mini tooth...are there others in your class (or school) that also have braces?

Thanks again for your reply!

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pre dent. I never had baces. My bro and si had them , but I was lucky to to not need them.

There are about 3 others in my class with braces. One of them got it right before starting dental school and the other 2 had it for a while before dental school. There are a few students who need braces and would like to get them done at the school because it's cheap and they think it's conveinent for them since they can just walk in and see if they can squeeze themselves into the schedule.
There are also many students whose teeth are crooked and could care less. They have braces before and did not wear their retainers so their teeth got crooked again, but they don't feel that it's worth it to go thru the pain of braces again.
I know that many dental students feel that since they are going to become dentists, they should have nice straight teeth to set a good example for their patients. Afterall, it seems to make sense that a dentist should have nice and straight teeth..... kinda like a makeup artist having nice makeup on....or a hairstylist with a nice hair-do!

there are 2 people in my class of 60 getting braces at school, and many people in class have gotten them in the past. Nobody has got extremely crooked teeth though several have discolorations due to fluorosis or disease or whatever. In terms of setting a good example in front of the patient, they can't really tell if we have class 2 or 3 occlusion, or posterior crossbites. Probably just need to have the anteriors straight and white, that's all you need. Yeah I would personally not choose to get students to do braces for me if I needed them, because putting on the brackets is pretty technique-sensitive and I wouldn't want bad tooth movement or bone resorption!