Looking for your opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loveneko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking Physics 1 this semester (took it 4 years ago my first try at college and got a C in it) so I was taking it again for a better grade.

As far as sciences are concerned, I have taken
Anatomy I + II
Physiology I + II
Microbiology I + II
Organic Chemistry (I went straight to Orgo and never took a Gen Chem I or II (It never occurred to me that I had to take general chemistry before organic chemistry, I just asked for an override and got it. I got an A in the class and became the class tutor for 2 years after))
Biochemistry I

My science GPA is a 4.0/4.0, my overall GPA is 3.7
When I study for MCAT it makes me feel so overwhelmed. I recognize the material, but I can't put the letters in my head together into a pattern that makes sense.
I have a lot of other things going on as far as school is concerned, but I do have my BSN (as a way to make some money and exposure while I get my "ish" together)

Because so many (but not all) med schools require general chemistry should I take them even though I have orgo under my belt? It seems a little redundant, but might be nice MCAT study.
Will taking higher level science courses help me on MCAT?

A friend of mine told me he "failed" MCAT, he didn't want to tell me what he had gotten and I didn't want to push him into telling me because I didn't want him to feel worse than I KNOW he already does. We've been planning medical school since 9th grade, a decade. And his failure has me completely and totally psyched out. He's a really smart guy and sigh. I don't know I'm just very anxious.
What are your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority of med schools require general chemistry. Take them. Do not limit your options because you don't want to take gen chem. Also, it would be a good idea for the MCAT.

As far as I know, you should take gen chem because it is a prerequisite for most medical schools. The fact that it'l help you on the MCAT is just a bonus

Members don't see this ad :)
General Chemistry is a Pre Req. for almost all American Medical schools. If you skip it youll be severely limiting your application process and it is a huge portion of the Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT. IT IS RECOMMENDED FOR A REASON. Why would you choose to skip it anyways?

General Chemistry is a Pre Req. for almost all American Medical schools. If you skip it youll be severely limiting your application process and it is a huge portion of the Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT. IT IS RECOMMENDED FOR A REASON. Why would you choose to skip it anyways?
As Goro wrote earlier today "not taking a recommended class for an extremely difficult, career-deciding test is just foolish" (something along those lines)

Got it.
As I was typing this the answers to all my questions just came to me (LOL)
Take Gen Chem 1 and 2, take Phys 2 (Hopefully I get an A in PHYS 1)
I would love to take Biochemistry again because even though I got an A in the class, I don't feel like I know enough. Or I could audit Biochemistry II that way it won't mess up my GPA but I still get to learn, hmmm....

Oh by the way, thanks guys. I had no idea your responses would be so quick.

Keep your A in biochem. That's a tough class to get an A and you rocked it girl. You can study it on your own for fun...focus on the MCAT.

How do you have a 4.0 science GPA with a C in Physics?

How do you have a 4.0 science GPA with a C in Physics?

My first college i spent a scattered year in. Took physics and got a C in it. Left there with a 3.5.
Dropped out of college and worked in a hospital for a year.
Moved to Miami and became a bachelor's nurse but spent my 6 semesters (fall spring summer 1 and summer 2) doing premed work.
Got an 4.0 for 60 semester credits (those are my sciences and math) that is where i pull my science gpa. I realize a C in physics would change that which is why I'm taking it again and aiming for an A in addition to taking physics 2 this summer 2 semester.
That is better proof to ad coms that i was immature when i started but persisted and improved once i was more mature.

Reactions: 1 user