Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Looking for your opinions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Loveneko, 05.17.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Loveneko

Loveneko

Pre-Medical
    I am currently taking Physics 1 this semester (took it 4 years ago my first try at college and got a C in it) so I was taking it again for a better grade.

As far as sciences are concerned, I have taken
    Anatomy I + II
    Physiology I + II
    Microbiology I + II
    Organic Chemistry (I went straight to Orgo and never took a Gen Chem I or II (It never occurred to me that I had to take general chemistry before organic chemistry, I just asked for an override and got it. I got an A in the class and became the class tutor for 2 years after))
    Biochemistry I

My science GPA is a 4.0/4.0, my overall GPA is 3.7
    When I study for MCAT it makes me feel so overwhelmed. I recognize the material, but I can't put the letters in my head together into a pattern that makes sense.
    I have a lot of other things going on as far as school is concerned, but I do have my BSN (as a way to make some money and exposure while I get my "ish" together)

Because so many (but not all) med schools require general chemistry should I take them even though I have orgo under my belt? It seems a little redundant, but might be nice MCAT study.
    Will taking higher level science courses help me on MCAT?

A friend of mine told me he "failed" MCAT, he didn't want to tell me what he had gotten and I didn't want to push him into telling me because I didn't want him to feel worse than I KNOW he already does. We've been planning medical school since 9th grade, a decade. And his failure has me completely and totally psyched out. He's a really smart guy and sigh. I don't know I'm just very anxious.
    What are your opinions?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cinclus

Cinclus Es un pájaro. Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The vast majority of med schools require general chemistry. Take them. Do not limit your options because you don't want to take gen chem. Also, it would be a good idea for the MCAT.

4. trino

trino 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    As far as I know, you should take gen chem because it is a prerequisite for most medical schools. The fact that it'l help you on the MCAT is just a bonus

5. bioman137

bioman137

Pre-Medical
    General Chemistry is a Pre Req. for almost all American Medical schools. If you skip it youll be severely limiting your application process and it is a huge portion of the Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT. IT IS RECOMMENDED FOR A REASON. Why would you choose to skip it anyways?

6. trino

trino 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    As Goro wrote earlier today "not taking a recommended class for an extremely difficult, career-deciding test is just foolish" (something along those lines)

7. Loveneko

Loveneko

Pre-Medical
    Got it.
    As I was typing this the answers to all my questions just came to me (LOL)
    Take Gen Chem 1 and 2, take Phys 2 (Hopefully I get an A in PHYS 1)
    I would love to take Biochemistry again because even though I got an A in the class, I don't feel like I know enough. Or I could audit Biochemistry II that way it won't mess up my GPA but I still get to learn, hmmm....

Oh by the way, thanks guys. I had no idea your responses would be so quick.

8. doctorgirldaisy

doctorgirldaisy

Pre-Medical
    Keep your A in biochem. That's a tough class to get an A and you rocked it girl. You can study it on your own for fun...focus on the MCAT.

9. Kochanie

Kochanie

Pre-Medical
    How do you have a 4.0 science GPA with a C in Physics?

10. Loveneko

Loveneko

Pre-Medical
    My first college i spent a scattered year in. Took physics and got a C in it. Left there with a 3.5.
    Dropped out of college and worked in a hospital for a year.
    Moved to Miami and became a bachelor's nurse but spent my 6 semesters (fall spring summer 1 and summer 2) doing premed work.
    Got an 4.0 for 60 semester credits (those are my sciences and math) that is where i pull my science gpa. I realize a C in physics would change that which is why I'm taking it again and aiming for an A in addition to taking physics 2 this summer 2 semester.
    That is better proof to ad coms that i was immature when i started but persisted and improved once i was more mature.

lumpyduster likes this.

About the ads