Looking into a career change (advice needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So... if we all get terrible jobs. And its all horrible. 90% will never get a good job or be happy according to the posters here.

...Yet all (majority) the regular posters have good jobs. Most of them say they are also happy in their job "but others wont be" (paraphrasing)

Again I am super happy and have no qualms with the profession.

Be careful about the internet and opinions. It's kinda like yelp or google reviews. Those who are happy are less likely to log on and post their opinion. Those who are disgruntled on the other hand are more likely to leave a negative review.

If you want misserable people be a hospitalist. They are always so disgruntled. Everywhere i have been they seem so stressed out and unhappy.

OR front desk managers universally also seem to be quite grumpy lol.

LOL, Definitely agree that hospitalists generally hate their lives. Discharge paperwork experts.

But in response to you, having a good job means criticism of the profession and colleagues is wrong. Right?

Just giving you my experience, and yes while I’m doing good:

1) I wouldn't encourage my kids pursue podiatry
2) Not everyone I know is doing good. SOME of them are doing good now after struggling bitterly for a few years. Lots of heartache and headaches. Also, the top 20 percent is a fallacy. Some people from the top kill it, some people from the bottom kill it. And everything in between. Podiatry is quite literally a crap shoot. I’ve been surprised where some of my classmates have ended up (good and bad, fellowship and without)
3) Yes, if you pursue podiatry purely from a business/capitalist mindset, you can murder it financially. This will also require a sacrifice on the part of your medical ethics - “podiatry is filled with crooks”. Either you are conning the patient or conning the insurance company. Somebody is gonna pay for that Ferrari. It’s generally true, I would describe some of my legacy classmates parents and many attendings/school profs that way. Scum bags. It’s a procedure filled profession and you can can convince patients of anything. The sky is the limit. Honesty is lacking in this profession.

Podiatry has REAL big problems internally as a profession, more so than other professions. To profess otherwise is problematic and contributes more to the problem.

Also, both Yelp and Google reviews generally have more positive reviews than negative ones. Applies to restaurants and physicians.

No need for the warning, it speaks volumes that physicians who are doing well are sounding off on the issues we face professionally in our training and in practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah now that I think about it, if you want the MSG/Hospital jobs it won't be in LA, NY, Miami/Chicago etc. It will be in Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita and smaller.

YES... which unfortunately shows how limiting the opportunities to make good money is in the field, you have to go to BUMBLE *TOWN* to make what would be considered by other standards to be appropriate pay ( but when other specialties do it they get very high above avg pay i.e an electrophyisologist stays and starts off in NY they make 250- 300k... goes down to FL and they make 600-700K, but at least there is a standard threshold that is never dipped below in these metro cities) ... there is great disparity with podiatry but i dont know why thats the case when in any hospital environment podiatry is profitable or at least doesn't end up COSTING the institution as other specialties do ..... this is something that one of the governing societies in our field should work on and place high on their agenda but instead they are jokes and dont work on whats practical and important, instead its some pie in the sky BS that they focus on and alot of fluff

Last edited:
This will also require a sacrifice on the part of your medical ethics - “podiatry is filled with crooks”. Either you are conning the patient or conning the insurance company. Somebody is gonna pay for that Ferrari. It’s generally true, I would describe some of my legacy classmates parents and many attendings/school profs that way. Scum bags. It’s a procedure filled profession and you can can convince patients of anything. The sky is the limit. Honesty is lacking in this profession.

LMAO0o0o... this guy is the man!! I love this !

Members don't see this ad :)
there is great disparity with podiatry but i dont know why thats the case when in any hospital environment podiatry is profitable or at least doesn't end up COSTING the institution as other specialties do

My overhead for my practice is practically nothing as I use all the same resources that are already there for ortho.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So... if we all get terrible jobs. And its all horrible. 90% will never get a good job or be happy according to the posters here.

...Yet all (majority) the regular posters have good jobs. Most of them say they are also happy in their job "but others wont be" (paraphrasing)

Again I am super happy and have no qualms with the profession.

Be careful about the internet and opinions. It's kinda like yelp or google reviews. Those who are happy are less likely to log on and post their opinion. Those who are disgruntled on the other hand are more likely to leave a negative review.

If you want misserable people be a hospitalist. They are always so disgruntled. Everywhere i have been they seem so stressed out and unhappy.

OR front desk managers universally also seem to be quite grumpy lol.

Haha so true...seems like a LOT of really negative posts here by people that supposedly have great jobs...what's to be believed?? Maybe it's more accurate to say this: If you go into podiatry, be prepared to job hop at least once or twice--your first job or two are going to be nightmares, unless you luck out somehow. Unfortunately, despite all the advice you can receive during residency--you don't have ANY IDEA what real life is going to be like until you get out there in the trenches. Anyways, I think most here that are in great positions didn't start out that way is what I'm trying to say (with maybe a couple exceptions). It's important to keep your options open, and remember that you are never truly "stuck" in a bad situation.

Edit: Just want to add this: Despite what many might say about that first or second terrible job, it's not a waste of time. You're getting something incredibly valuable...EXPERIENCE. You're learning first hand what you want/don't want out of this profession (not the same for every individual, so it's not written down anywhere), which is pure gold when you go looking for other positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Haha so true...seems like a LOT of really negative posts here by people that supposedly have great jobs...what's to be believed?? Maybe it's more accurate to say this: If you go into podiatry, be prepared to job hop at least once or twice--your first job or two are going to be nightmares, unless you luck out somehow. Unfortunately, despite all the advice you can receive during residency--you don't have ANY IDEA what real life is going to be like until you get out there in the trenches. Anyways, I think most here that are in great positions didn't start out that way is what I'm trying to say (with maybe a couple exceptions). It's important to keep your options open, and remember that you are never truly "stuck" in a bad situation.

Edit: Just want to add this: Despite what many might say about that first or second terrible job, it's not a waste of time. You're getting something incredibly valuable...EXPERIENCE. You're learning first hand what you want/don't want out of this profession (not the same for every individual, so it's not written down anywhere), which is pure gold when you go looking for other positions.
:thumbup:
Keep in mind the average time spend at a first job for ALL medical specialties is less than 3 years. Live like a resident, be ready to walk away at any point. Most important thing you can do when you graduate? DONT buy a house.

Despite what many might say about that first or second terrible job, it's not a waste of time. You're getting something incredibly valuable...EXPERIENCE. You're learning first hand what you want/don't want out of this profession (not the same for every individual, so it's not written down anywhere), which is pure gold when you go looking for other positions.

That's a positive way of looking at it. I recommend you think about it in the above fashion...and don't focus on the often times hundreds of thousands of dollars more that your classmates are getting paid each year :(

seems like a LOT of really negative posts here by people that supposedly have great jobs...what's to be believed??
Yeah. There is a lot of complaining about the profession from people who are in great situations. Either from a work-life balance standpoint or a financial standpoint. Though I'm sure it comes from the fact that they see colleagues all over the country [raises hand] that are getting screwed. Classmates who were near the top of their class, did great residencies, only to got bent over by another podiatrist or two...So I don't blame them even though they should be the last ones complaining or telling people not to pursue the profession that is going to allow them to retire by 55 if they wanted to.

Truth. Maybe I’m just a complainer, or maybe this job is too easy - colleagues/friends getting screwed doesn’t doesn’t help. Bleeding heart liberal and all.

(Still wouldn’t let my kids become pods though)

Going back to the OP - this is literally the biggest financial decision of your life. I am trying to remember if you have debt from PT school or not. But you have income. Is it doctor income? no but its good income. You have a skill that is valuable, and I assume you can get a job in nearly any location you want. By going to podiatry school, you are taking on a lot of debt, giving up current income (we already talked about time value of money) for a job that has a HUGE variability in pay, that does not have standardized scope and is always under attack, that may have some very good jobs but are VERY location dependent. I don't think it makes any sense. Now if you told me you were currently working as a carpet cleaner, maybe its a different decision. Are you big into mountain biking, skiing etc? Want to live in Vail CO? I promise you will have a better time finding a job there as a PT than as DPM. And you will have the same cost of living and honestly probably similar income.

Keep being a PT. What else are passionate about? Can you turn that into a business? All sorts of stuff out there on side hustles now. Any interest in real estate? Again, passive income.

If you wanted to do all this for MD/DO, that's a different story and can make a better argument for. Much better success rate of higher income, job availability etc. But to possibly become a podiatrist? Too many red flags.

If

Last edited:
Podiatry is full of hacks and crooks. in my 3 years of practicing, i've seen some unbelievable things. Pretty embarrassed of my profession to be honest. There are some good ones out there that possess great surgical skills but a good chunk are old, crooks that hire new associates to dump their work on. There's also a bunch of useless so called "fellowships" that hire these new grads and dump work on them. If you're in a fellowship doing 4 days of clinic / rounding and one day of assisting in surgery you are being used like a dirty Reno hooker. 90% of ACFAS fellowships are worthless. our boards the prestigious ABFAS is pretty embarrassing. poorly written, money maker. Many of the residency programs are basically ignorant attending relying on residents to do their ground work. most of these guys couldn't work up a good H/P if their life depended on it. Podiatry is all about dumping the load on the younger residents, fellows, new associates so the lazy incompetent older guys can survive and golf on the weekend. Even the schools are pathetic. kids with 2.0 gpa gets in so the these private schools can stay afloat.
We crawl through any door the hospital opens..department of vascular surgery? sure will take it. Department of endocrinology ? sure well take it. (how does a surgical service in an endocrinology department make any sense?) department of plastic surgery? sure well take it. any department that opens their door, podiatry will take it. We have an identity problem. we are foot and ankle surgeons? or are we Podiatric surgeon? no wait we are Podiatric surgery and medicine doctors? no were just podiatrist. i still don't know what i am . We get pushed around by ortho and we just take it. We are like the little deposit feeders that go in after ortho has killed and ate all the good meat.

From podiatry school to after residency and even fellowship, i've always been pro podiatry. and then real world came .... Sadly this could be an awesome profession. Its ruined by the greedy pods. Im happy with my situation. i make a great income and practice full scope in an ortho department. All this is because the head ortho dept father was a Podiatrist and he's been kind to me. as soon as he retires, i'm probably fired.

cheers.
Hats off to whomever the hell this guy is !!!!! I was haven't laughed this hard at SDN in all the years I have been reading this stuff. It's funny because it's true. Sad. But true

I was in your exact situation, decided to go back to school in late 20's, podiatry school mid 30s, graduating residency right before 40. I like what I do, I enjoy the job. I'm not a doom and gloomer, and feel one can do very well for themselves and others in this profession. Yea we should get paid more, but most arn't struggling.

Looking back was it the smartest decision financially? No. But I'm probably happier where I am at now in life then where I would of been without pursuing this journey. You just have to have the right expectations.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL, Definitely agree that hospitalists generally hate their lives. Discharge paperwork experts.
No agreeance for the craby old lady behind the OR desk (they are ALWAYS older ladies and ALWAYS super crabby. Name one situation where it is not an elderly lady behind that desk disgruntled at the world. If you disagree I refuse to believe you!
[/QUOTE]

1) I wouldn't encourage my kids pursue podiatry
[/QUOTE]
Fair but polls of physicians from all medical professions say the same thing. I dont think I would wish the long hours I work on my children.

[/QUOTE]
2) Not everyone I know is doing good. SOME of them are doing good now after struggling bitterly for a few years. Lots of heartache and headaches. Also, the top 20 percent is a fallacy. Some people from the top kill it, some people from the bottom kill it. And everything in between. Podiatry is quite literally a crap shoot. I’ve been surprised where some of my classmates have ended up (good and bad, fellowship and without)
[/QUOTE]
I totally agree that it can be a crap shoot. But I also feel you make your own luck in podiatry. Put in the effort and you can do well.

[/QUOTE]
3) Yes, if you pursue podiatry purely from a business/capitalist mindset, you can murder it financially. This will also require a sacrifice on the part of your medical ethics - “podiatry is filled with crooks”. Either you are conning the patient or conning the insurance company. Somebody is gonna pay for that Ferrari. It’s generally true, I would describe some of my legacy classmates parents and many attendings/school profs that way. Scum bags. It’s a procedure filled profession and you can can convince patients of anything. The sky is the limit. Honesty is lacking in this profession.
[/QUOTE]
There are crooks in all professions. I talk 80% of people out of surgery. I feel I am super honest with my patients. I know some shady practitioners in podiatry. But I also know a lot of good ones too. I dont think this is restricted to podiatry alone.
[/QUOTE]
Also, both Yelp and Google reviews generally have more positive reviews than negative ones. Applies to restaurants and physicians.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but physicians tend to have a lot of negative reviews. Seems to be different in health care than the greasy food hot spot on the corner.

Edit: Well that didnt work but im too lazy to try to fix it.

Last edited: