Looking into going to a D.O. school only.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devinet3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

3.5s, 3.6overall GPA. Had to redo chem 2. That's why I'm looking into D.O. schools only. Half of my sciences are at at CC the other is at a university. Will not have time or the $ to retake them at the University. Haven't taken MCAT yet. However, shooting for at least a 27 to secure an interview.

EMT-B Certified.
100 Clinical hours doing ride alongs with the Local Fire Dept
Risk Management Officer for my Club Softball Team
Going to try and get into research this year.
Looking to shadow a D.O. for at least 150+ hours.
Suppose to Graduate Spring '14.

My chances you think at D.O. Schools???

FL Resident

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

3.5s, 3.6overall GPA. Had to redo chem 2. That's why I'm looking into D.O. schools only. Half of my sciences are at at CC the other is at a university. Will not have time or the $ to retake them at the University. Haven't taken MCAT yet. However, shooting for at least a 27 to secure an interview.

EMT-B Certified.

FL Resident
Most DO schools wont care if half of your science classes are taken at CC if the grades at CC and University are somewhat consistent. With your GPAs, any MCAT above 25 will get you multiple interviews at DO. If you get an above 28 mcat, you will have a decent shot at MD as well.

EMT-B Certified.

FL Resident
Stats-wise, I think you'll be fine for multiple DO acceptances with the stated numbers.

EC-wise, I'd suggest that you consider adding some nonmedical community service that helps the poor. And when you say "ride-alongs", I'm not sure what you mean. If you're sitting there watching others care for patients, then it's EMT shadowing. If you are assisting the patient, then it would be deemed clinical experience. You need to use the EMT certification for it to be meaningful.

One bad grade in Chem isn't going to sink you for MD, especially with a consistent steep upward grade trend. You might calculate what a best-case scenario might be for cGPA/BCPM GPA after one to two more years of excellent grades before you decide where to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based upon what you've written here, I'd say your chances are fine.

Hey Guys,

EMT-B Certified.

FL Resident

That shouldn't be your ONLY reason for going DO only. Maybe if you had a ton of other retakes.

Anyway, I'd think chances are good. Don't be afraid to go MD too, if your MCAT is high enough and you're interested in it.