Looking into OTA... PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHB531

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied to a few MS OT programs, I was not admitted because my GPA was not as high as the other applicants. I called one school to gain further information he said that I was not admitted because of my GPA and advised me to take more science classes ( although they were not apart of the prerequisite requirements) or look into other programs that have a lower average applicant GPA ( I looked into them and they all involve me taking even more prerequisites. The things that he advised me to do are not things I am able to do, I have been taking prerequisites for over a year, out of pocket, I cannot afford to take anymore. I am looking into OTA programs, although it is an associates degree and I already have a bachelors degree (in sociology). The man I spoke to seemed to be trying to talk me out of the OTA program that they offered at their school, he said that I was over qualified. I understand that but I am very interested in the work and field of occupational therapy. I understand that OTA's make less, but 40K doesn't sound too bad to me especially when I currently work at a daycare with almost minimum wage. I have been doing a lot of research and I don't think I would mind being an OTA, but why was this man trying so hard to talk me out of it????? I just think it would be the best path for me at this time, especially financially.

THOUGHTS? HELP ME!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an undergrad in sociology and a GPA of 2.86 to 2.908 depending if you use the otcas calculations, I may be going the same route. Santa Ana College COTA program.

I recently applied to a few MS OT programs, I was not admitted because my GPA was not as high as the other applicants. I called one school to gain further information he said that I was not admitted because of my GPA and advised me to take more science classes ( although they were not apart of the prerequisite requirements) or look into other programs that have a lower average applicant GPA ( I looked into them and they all involve me taking even more prerequisites. The things that he advised me to do are not things I am able to do, I have been taking prerequisites for over a year, out of pocket, I cannot afford to take anymore. I am looking into OTA programs, although it is an associates degree and I already have a bachelors degree (in sociology). The man I spoke to seemed to be trying to talk me out of the OTA program that they offered at their school, he said that I was over qualified. I understand that but I am very interested in the work and field of occupational therapy. I understand that OTA's make less, but 40K doesn't sound too bad to me especially when I currently work at a daycare with almost minimum wage. I have been doing a lot of research and I don't think I would mind being an OTA, but why was this man trying so hard to talk me out of it????? I just think it would be the best path for me at this time, especially financially.

THOUGHTS? HELP ME!!

Hi, you can start with COTA and then attend a bridge program somewhere. I am in the process of applying for masters programs but I am on a waitlist for a COTA program as well for a back up. Its always good to have a back up plan. I completely understand where you are coming with the pre-req requirements. Every school is different in one way or another so its hard to apply to multiple schools. The people advising at these programs don't understand what it is like going to school in 2011. Costs have quadrupled, competition is unreal, and other hurdles.
My mom said that when she was in college in the early 80's, you could just walk into OT, PT, nursing, or pharmacy school. Point is, 30 years ago those programs only attracted people who were truly interested in working and helping people. Times have changed. I understand that competition is a good thing, but only to an extent. There are people out there that make really good grades but couldn't care less about patient care. Its just a pay check.
Oh, and the program director for the COTA program gave me the same thing. She acted like she didn't want me to apply because I had a B.A degree. I thought it was weird at first but then after talking to her again, I realized she didn't know how competitive OT school is now. She just has a bachelors in OT with a masters in education. Like I said, its a whole new world in academics now.

Members don't see this ad :)
My COTA program director seemed interested in me, and told me many other COTA students in her program already had degrees, she didn't discourage me or anyone else from applying to her program. I am not interested in pursuing a bridge program, I just want to get into the OT field. The only reason I am applying to Master's degrees is the waitlist for the COTA program. I am due to start my OTA program in fall 2012, but anybody applying right now is on the waitlist to start fall 2014.

It is frustrating because I have taken all the prerequisites for the Masters program but I just want to get into the field, not continue to take more prereqs when there is still a chance that I wouldn't get into the program. The man I spoke to did not say anything about a waiting list for this school so. He just made me so confused and frustrated, I am under qualified for to master program but over qualified for the OTA program? Does he not realized how many people out there are in jobs that they are overqualified for because of how awful our economy is right now?

don't let anyone stop you, do what you want in your heart. i am kind of in the opposite boat as you guys actually, the only reason i am applying to master's programs is the fact there is a waitlist for the cota program.