Looking to add 3 or 4 DO schools help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetBurger

cowbell
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.99cgpa/3.97sgpa
mcat: 513
hospital volunteering at 2 hospitals (110)
created an outreach through my school only ended up with (50 hours) of direct interaction with students
shadowing physician (50 hours)
research 1 grant 1 national presentation no pubs (770 hours)
peer lead group tutor (800 hours)
leadership position in an organization related to developing volunteer outreach (150 hours)

leaning towards DMU, AZCOM, and LECOM based on what i've researched however I know my ec's are weak and im trying to pick a schools where i would at least have a chance at II's

Members don't see this ad.

CUSOM? DMU is good too. Maybe KYCOM or WVSOM. WVSOM is currently my top choice.

Reactions: 1 user
CUSOM? DMU is good too. Maybe KYCOM or WVSOM. WVSOM is currently my top choice.
I thought WVSOM had an instate pref and im not from WV so was unsure on that. Interested in primary care though so the program looks good to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought WVSOM had an instate pref and im not from WV so was unsure on that. Interested in primary care though so the program looks good to me!

West Virginia has three medical schools (2MD and 1DO). Both of the MD schools have an extremely strong in-state preference (WVU in particular interviews a lot of OOS candidates but gives very few of them an acceptance).

The only DO school (WVSOM) gives most of its seats to OOS folks.

There are two problems in your case when it comes to applying to DO schools:

1) DO schools are universally primary care/rural/underserved focused. And your application has little to none of that focus in there.
2) DO schools want to see effort in getting osteopathic exposure. Whether that's attending osteopathic conferences, shadowing a DO physicians, or shadowing an OMT lab. Something to show them that you are serious about osteopathic medicine.

Reactions: 1 users

1) DO schools are universally primary care/rural/underserved focused. And your application has little to none of that focus in there.
2) DO schools want to see effort in getting osteopathic exposure. Whether that's attending osteopathic conferences, shadowing a DO physicians, or shadowing an OMT lab. Something to show them that you are serious about osteopathic medicine.
I wish i could write in my app that I've cold called 40+ DO offices and have been told that I couldn't shadow at any of them or that they had too many students already shadowing. In the past I have shadowed a DO (although it was in ophthalmology) the summer before my freshman year of uni for about 50 hours and I havent included this on my app cus i wasn't sure if it counted due to being right after highschool. Should i add this? *the shadowing in my original post is of an MD.
As for the primary care/rural/underserved focus i know my app is lacking lol. Thats why i said my ecs are weak in my og post. Trying to pick the schools where i have the best shot with my current ec's if any

I wish i could write in my app that I've cold called 40+ DO offices and have been told that I couldn't shadow at any of them or that they had too many students already shadowing. In the past I have shadowed a DO (although it was in ophthalmology) the summer before my freshman year of uni for about 50 hours and I havent included this on my app cus i wasn't sure if it counted due to being right after highschool. Should i add this? *the shadowing in my original post is of an MD.
As for the primary care/rural/underserved focus i know my app is lacking lol. Thats why i said my ecs are weak in my og post. Trying to pick the schools where i have the best shot with my current ec's if any

That shadowing will be valuable but since it was long ago and very few osteopathic docs go into optho....... it may not be as valuable. Certainly beats no DO shadowing at all. Can you get an LOR from him? Why don't you ask him if he knows any other osteopathic doctors that can let you shadow.

That shadowing will be valuable but since it was long ago and very few osteopathic docs go into optho....... it may not be a little less valuable. Can you get an LOR from him? Why don't you ask him if he knows any other osteopathic doctors that can let you shadow.
I can try, I lost contact as he moved back to his home state but i guess its worth a shot. Also ran out of LOR spots on AACOMAS so this should be interesting haha

I can try, I lost contact as he moved back to his home state but i guess its worth a shot. Also ran out of LOR spots on AACOMAS so this should be interesting haha

Lol what did you spend all of your 6 slots on?

Let's take this convo over to a PM. I'm applying to DO schools also so we'll have a good bit to talk about.

Do you know of any osteopathic conferences? I know OMED is coming up but it is kind of expensive to attend.

Do you know of any osteopathic conferences? I know OMED is coming up but it is kind of expensive to attend.
Don't know how your UG operates, but I had my cost covered for any conferences I attended where I presented research at the conference. You might be able to swing something like this or if you can do it through a club involvement its possible you could get cost of attendance+travel covered.

Don't know how your UG operates, but I had my cost covered for any conferences I attended where I presented research at the conference. You might be able to swing something like this or if you can do it through a club involvement its possible you could get cost of attendance+travel covered.

It doesn't even have to be a conference. Several osteopathic schools hold preview sessions in the fall and late summer. Attend one of those.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t shadow any DOs nor do I have a DO LOR and I have an interview at DMU in a few weeks. I do have a bit more service with the underserved though... worth a shot with them.