Looking to apply to PA school next year. Any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heizenberg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BS in chemistry. I couldn't get a high enough MCAT score to get me into medical school. Only had a 21Q.

Took the GRE and got a 1130 on it (690q, 430v, 3.5w)

I graduated with a 3.0 cGPA, and probably a 2.7sGPA. I know neither are great.

I'll be going back to school as a post-bac and will be taking about 26 credits of pre-req's, 3 of the courses will be repeats though, since I need at least a 3.0 in the courses in order for them to qualify for my pre-req's.

This coming year I will be taking:
200 level Physiology course
300 level Physiology course (repeating, earned a 2.4 previously)
Nutrition
Microbiology (repeating, earned a 2.0 previously)
Micro lab
Dev Psych
Medical Terminology
Anatomy (repeating, earned a 2.0 previously)

I calculated, and if I get a 4.0 in all of these courses (I'm very determined to doing just this), and counting the grade replacement that some PA schools do, my cGPA would jump to a 3.3, and the pre-req's GPA would be a 3.8 (since the school I am looking at also requires statistics, chem, etc. all I've gotten a 3.3 and above on)

I also have 6000+ patient contact hours as a CNA.
I have done science research for a year, and clinical research for 6 months.
I was president of my university's chemistry club for a year, and a member for 3 years.
I have shadowed an MD, but have yet to shadow a PA, and I plan on doing so this coming year.
I plan on also adding in some volunteer hours.

So given the above information, and hypothetically I deliver on my 4.0 promise for 26 credits of pre-req's, what would my chances be in entering PA school?

What schools should I look at? I'm not particular about the area or region of where I get accepted, but I prefer somewhere around Michigan. Any suggestions about anything before I begin this journey?

Members don't see this ad.