Looking to build up a list of Fellowships with strong Ultrasound training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mildlyaverage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prior threads are all 1+ year old, and tended to be incomplete. Im interested in a sports fellowship with very strong diagnostic/ interventional US training. Secondarily would also like some orthobiologics. PCSM or PM&R. Prior threads have mentioned both Mayo MN campuses, Iowa, Emory, Birmingham. Would appreciate any other recommendations

Members don't see this ad.

On the PM&R side you probably have the best:
Emory (Mautner, US+biologics - would have been my top fellowship choice if they also offered any sort of spine training)
Mayo
ASMI (Colberg, US+biologics+HEAVY sports coverage+great network post-fellowship if you want to be university team doc in the Southeast)
Greenville, SC and TCU/Fort Worth, TX fellowships have good procedure reputation

Gerard Malanga has been involved with fellowships in the past in NY/NJ area, but do not know if that is still the case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here at Long Beach Memorial we provide frequent workshops for the fellow and residents. Our resources include the SonoSite Xporte, GE LogicQ, Terrason Usmart, Lumify, and a couple older machines. We utilize an MSK ultrasonographer for assistance with our workshops. The fellow typically travels with the terrason but I am actively trying to replace and upgrade that specific unit.

We do several ultrasound guided procedures including nerve hydrodissections. We also reimburse for the RMSK certification exam. Our Ultrasound curriculum is modeled off the AMSSM and then expanded based on the RMSK exam. We have some print resources available such as the fundamentals of MSK ultrasound and an ultrasound guided injections text book. We also have access to the SonoSite database of educational ultrasound videos.

Our FM residents utilize ultrasound in their primary clinics as well. Our FM faculty teach a POCUS curriculum for the residents.

Ultrasound travels with us to the training rooms and on the sideline when needed. Event coverage includes Long Beach State (D1 athletics), Cypress College, and we work with Vans Skateboarding often. There are other opportunities like X games as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to Montefiore. Had 1-2 days per week of dedicated ultrasound clinic, plus ultrasound workshops with the residents weekly. Other clinics had ultrasound available if we needed it for point-of-care. I did every kind of injection - SI joint, piriformis with sciatic hydrodissection, plantar fascia, trigger finger, cubital tunnel, etc, and of course the bread and butter shoulder, knee, hip. We also rotated in the spasticity clinic and used ultrasound there for botox or nerve blocks.

I think it is different now, but I also had 1 day per week of fluoroscopy. The Pain Medicine fellowship grew, so there may be less opportunity for the Sports fellows. But as far as personal experience, I did epidurals, medial branch blocks, SI Joint.

Unfortunately, orthobiologics was limited. Did Tenex and PRP. Of course, they are sexy, but technical skills are the same as any other injection.