Looking to go back west...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortholegoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to this thread. Ended up not matching this cycle but was fortunate enough to SOAP into an IM program. I am excited about the idea of Internal Medicine, but the problem is I matched on the opposite side of the country from my family and we recently had our first child. It would be a dream come true for me to find a way to switch/swap into one of the IM programs in Idaho. Think there is any possibility of this?

Members don't see this ad.

As much as it sucks, you should at least complete intern year before gently testing the waters to see if the program that you matched at will be supportive of you leaving. Unfortunately, since you already SOAP matched into this program, I think trying to swap immediately would be like trying to kick a gift horse in the mouth and unlikely to end well. The best best would be to stick it out til the end, do well on rotations, and then go back home for fellowship or to start you career

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New to this thread. Ended up not matching this cycle but was fortunate enough to SOAP into an IM program. I am excited about the idea of Internal Medicine, but the problem is I matched on the opposite side of the country from my family and we recently had our first child. It would be a dream come true for me to find a way to switch/swap into one of the IM programs in Idaho. Think there is any possibility of this?
why did you accept this SOAP position if you this was an issue?

That's like only one program. But the only way to know for sure is to ask.