Looking to make a Career Move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citadel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi Guys,

I am a 34 year old male looking to finally do what my heart wants! I have always had the desire to work in hospital administration with the goal of being a Hospital COO. Some life choices steered me into a more corporate business direction. After a very long bout of soul searching, I have decided that even though I am very successful in my current career, am married with 2 kids and make well over $130k, I need to get to where my heart is.. or I will always regret not trying...

I am not sure what path to take to get to my goal....

My current thoughts are:
  • Obtaining an executive MHA degree online from a top 5 school
  • Obtaining a 1 year Fellowship (I am assuming I need a recent MHA degree to get a fellowship)
  • Getting into a Hospital Administration Executive Training Program
Anyone have any suggestions?
I would love to hear your opinions.

My background is as follows:
BS Business Administration- The Citadel Military College -1994
MBA- USC -2000

Work Experience:
3 years- Operations Management - Major Manufacturing Company (Prior to MBA)
3 years-Healthcare Segment Brand Manager- Major Computer Manufaturer
Current- 4 years-Senior Product Marketing Manager- Major Computer Manufaturer

I am currently the senior product manager for our largest line of business products, running a business line with over $8 billion in revenue.

Volunteer Experience:
3 years: Hospital Patient Care Volunteer- Children's Hospital

Members don't see this ad.

Um, this is the MPH forum, not MHA. Try the med-business forum instead.

Running a hospital would be cool... why stop at COO?

hi Guys,

I am a 34 year old male looking to finally do what my heart wants! I have always had the desire to work in hospital administration with the goal of being a Hospital COO. Some life choices steered me into a more corporate business direction. After a very long bout of soul searching, I have decided that even though I am very successful in my current career, am married with 2 kids and make well over $130k, I need to get to where my heart is.. or I will always regret not trying...

I am not sure what path to take to get to my goal....

My current thoughts are:
  • Obtaining an executive MHA degree online from a top 5 school
  • Obtaining a 1 year Fellowship (I am assuming I need a recent MHA degree to get a fellowship)
  • Getting into a Hospital Administration Executive Training Program
Anyone have any suggestions?
I would love to hear your opinions.

My background is as follows:
BS Business Administration- The Citadel Military College -1994
MBA- USC -2000

Work Experience:
3 years- Operations Management - Major Manufacturing Company (Prior to MBA)
3 years-Healthcare Segment Brand Manager- Major Computer Manufaturer
Current- 4 years-Senior Product Marketing Manager- Major Computer Manufaturer

I am currently the senior product manager for our largest line of business products, running a business line with over $8 billion in revenue.

Volunteer Experience:
3 years: Hospital Patient Care Volunteer- Children's Hospital

I'm not pursuing the MHSA, but I know that my school of public health does sponsor that degree and that some of the MPH core classes overlap with the MHSA ones. Your experience and degrees seem like you could really fit with working in health admin and getting that degree. Good luck!