Looking to Move To a Different Region After Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLElaser

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently matched into a university program in the South. What I heard is that most likely you receive an offer and work at the same region you did your residency in. However, with my family being all in the northeast, I'm hoping to go back there as an attending.

I had a couple of questions:
1) How does the hiring process differ for graduates in the region and those from out of state with no connections?

2) How do you reach out to hospitals in the area you want to practice if you do not have any connections? (ex: did not do college, med school, residency there) Do you just have to cold apply to opportunities?

3) Would the way you were trained have an impact on you getting hired to practice in a certain region? (clinical decision making may be different in the south compared to northeast due to malpractice/tort reform/etc). So would they may prefer graduates that have more experience with their pt population?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all, I recently matched into a university program in the South. What I heard is that most likely you receive an offer and work at the same region you did your residency in. However, with my family being all in the northeast, I'm hoping to go back there as an attending.

I had a couple of questions:
1) How does the hiring process differ for graduates in the region and those from out of state with no connections?

2) How do you reach out to hospitals in the area you want to practice if you do not have any connections? (ex: did not do college, med school, residency there) Do you just have to cold apply to opportunities?

3) Would the way you were trained have an impact on you getting hired to practice in a certain region? (clinical decision making may be different in the south compared to northeast due to malpractice/tort reform/etc). So would they may prefer graduates that have more experience with their pt population?

Let the merest hint that you want to practice in an area circulate to physician recruiters at hospitals in the region where you want to end up.

You will be inundated with interest from facilities that need what you have to offer.

Let the merest hint that you want to practice in an area circulate to physician recruiters at hospitals in the region where you want to end up.

You will be inundated with interest from facilities that need what you have to offer.

What if you want to work at a particular academic center? How do you get in if they use more of their internal graduates?

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you want to work at a particular academic center? How do you get in if they use more of their internal graduates?

"they use *more* of their internal graduates" seems to imply that they don't use 100% internal grads. It doesn't matter if the number of external hires they take is a low overall percentage. So what if it is only 10%...if you are in that 10% then it counts for you. Be the best you can be, learn to market yourself well, and don't talk yourself out of a possibility based on assumptions about its probability.

Reactions: 1 user