Looking to rent in Boston--Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any advice on finding an apartment (to rent) in BeanTown?

I am thinking backbay, northside, beacon hill area...

I am married so roommates are out of the question.

How do bostonians deal with cars in these areas?

How are the realtors in Boston? Worth the fee?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Mindy

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mindy...I'll try to help you out, much of your decision will be based on what hospital you are at.

If you are at the Brigham, or the BI then I say Allston, Brighton, or Brookline, also consider back bay. Alston and Brighton are very student oriented, louder, more undergrads but more affordable with plenty of nice places (resonably priced for Boston). Allston and Brigton are along the "B line" of Bostons green line subway system. Brookline is essentially next door to the longwood medical area. Easy to walk, bike, grab a bus or drive. More suburban, more expensive but less noise and still close to the city. If you think brookline try to get a place in Washinton Square or near Coolidge Corner...both great places with lots of apartments.

If you are at MGH think beacon hill, harvard or central square and back bay. Beacon hill is right next to MGH but it is expensive and the places are very small. Harvard and Central square are right along the Red Line and so is MGH so public transport is easier. Again back bay which is essentially right in the middle of the city and thus central to every hospital.

If you are at BU think South End and Back Bay. South End used to be the pits, a number of years ago, but it is now the hot, up-and coming area and thus it is difficult to find affordable housing, but it is still possible. Lots of places in Back bay and access to BU is easy, but Back Bay is somewhat expensive.

As for cars.......its a nightmare....often places don't come with parking, or you pay 100 or 200 dollars a month for a spot. You will likely also have to pay a monthly fee for parking as a resident. Just give it your best shot to get a place with a spot or even two..they do exist. By the way, driving in boston....its what they will make me do if I get sent to Hell...its worse than LA, but public transport is fantastic, just may not run at the hours that we keep.

Finally another alternate is Jamaica Plain or West Roxbury. These "suburbs" are just past Brookline. The housing is cheaper and you get more. There is also plenty of parking available with your place. SO if you are married, don't necessarily need to party every night in Boston, but still want to be very close, this is a great place to look.

If you are coming from out of town, it might be a good idea to use a realtor, yes it is one months rent paid for nothing, but it may make it easier and the agent can continually send you stuff over the internet or e-mail. Good luck, any more specific stuff, just drop me a line and I'll try to answer.

Ca. Dreamin'

Ca. Dreamin' provided a lot of helpful information so I don't have much more to add. The main questions you have to ask yourself are:

1. How much are you willing to spend?
2. How important if having a car? Are you willing to pay for a spot or are you willing to deal with the daily headache of attempting to find a place to park?
3. How much do you dread a commute?
4. Do you prefer the city life and the sacrifices that come with it?

Being a Californian, I can't live without my car. Given that you are married and you want to keep your car, you might want to consider living near Cambridge. I know a lot of Partners residents who live in the Cambridge area. Personally, I would avoid West Roxbury. If you want more of an affordable city life, you could consider living in Brookline; however, parking will be a big problem as it is in most parts of Boston. I live further out than Cambridge an it usually took me 25 minutes from my garage to the parking structure right in front of MGH. If you live outside of Boston, you can get a heavenly spot right in front of MGH. My impression is that it doesn't save that much time taking the "T" in from Brookline (where a lot of MGH residents live as well). By the way, as a Partners resident, be sure to take advantage of the the rental guarantee plan. Partners will guarantee your rent so that you won't be required to put down a security deposit.

Question. What's a partners resident?

A couple of comments on what the previous posters have said:

1) Regarding Allston/Brighton: I would avoid Allston. I live there now, and it really seems to be mostly college students which drives up prices and makes street parking very difficult on Thursday-Saturday nights. And it's not really cheaper than anyplace else. In fact, I think you get less for the money. Brighton is more young professionals. A lot of people I know commute from Brighton to the Longwood medical area.

2) Regarding parking: In Boston, you can get a resident parking sticker (for free, I think) for whichever area you live in (e.g., Allston/Brighton, Fenway/Kenmore, Back Bay/Beacon Hill, etc.). I think there's a small fee for Cambridge parking stickers. And in Brookline, there's no overnight parking on the street so you'll need to pay for a spot as the above posters mentioned.

I vote for living in Cambridge or Somerville. But that's because I've always lived on the green line and I'm sick of it. Good luck!

Originally posted by drPheta
Question. What's a partners resident?

Mass General and Brigham & Women's joined to form Partners Healthcare. There are about 5 or more other hospitals in the group, too (McLean, Spaulding Rehab Hospital, Faulkner, etc.).

Beth Israel, Mt. Auburn, and New England Baptist are part of the CareGroup Health System.