Looks like I'm going to have a very low grade in a class, what should I do? Should I withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaulterHund

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm freaking out here. I have a 3.98 GPA and a 517 MCAT. I'm in a physics class where the tests make up 40% of the grade. Apparently the average student makes a C+ or a B- in the class as their final grade (the class is curved). We have taken two tests so far; on the first one I got a 50 with a class average of a 50, and on the second I got a 60 with a class average of 70. I am now below average. There will be a third exam, and a final worth 25% of our grade. I just don't know what to do. This class is extremely hard, and I tried to improve how I was doing for the second test, but a huge number of students dropped the class and I think this caused the exam average to skew upwards, which means that, even with my efforts, I performed relatively worse. Should I drop the class? I am extremely worried. I am a second semester junior about to apply this upcoming summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm freaking out here. I have a 3.98 GPA and a 517 MCAT. I'm in a physics class where the tests make up 40% of the grade. Apparently the average student makes a C+ or a B- in the class as their final grade (the class is curved). We have taken two tests so far; on the first one I got a 50 with a class average of a 50, and on the second I got a 60 with a class average of 70. I am now below average. There will be a third exam, and a final worth 25% of our grade. I just don't know what to do. This class is extremely hard, and I tried to improve how I was doing for the second test, but a huge number of students dropped the class and I think this caused the exam average to skew upwards, which means that, even with my efforts, I performed relatively worse. Should I drop the class? I am extremely worried. I am a second semester junior about to apply this upcoming summer.
Have you done the math and confirmed that you can't get a reasonable grade? 40% on tests really isn't that high. If you've managed to ace the rest and do well on the next two exams, you should be fine.

The homework and attendance make up 35% of the grade. The rest are the exams (40%) and the final (25%). Sure, if I aced the rest I would be okay, but what are the odds that I ace the third exam and the final? They seem very low to me, considering how much effort I put in for the second exam and still performed 10 points below average.

Members don't see this ad :)
The homework and attendance make up 35% of the grade. The rest are the exams (40%) and the final (25%). Sure, if I aced the rest I would be okay, but what are the odds that I ace the third exam and the final? They seem very low to me, considering how much effort I put in for the second exam and still performed 10 points below average.
You've got to know the equations inside and out. Be able to derive them, long form, from memory. That's what it's going to take to get your A. I've been in the same position as you in a class where the average was a 30% on exams. You just need to put in the extra effort.

You've got to know the equations inside and out. Be able to derive them, long form, from memory. That's what it's going to take to get your A. I've been in the same position as you in a class where the average was a 30% on exams. You just need to put in the extra effort.

I put in a lot of effort and it clearly wasn't good enough. I am already trying. I have a 3.98 GPA, I know how to do well in classes and it's not working. I am on target for a C+. This advice isn't very helpful for me unfortunately. You're essentially saying "just know the material and you'll do fine." Yes, one would think, but it's not working for me. I am missing something and I think I would really struggle to catch up and get up to speed without my other grades suffering

Reactions: 1 user
I put in a lot of effort and it clearly wasn't good enough. I am already trying. I have a 3.98 GPA, I know how to do well in classes and it's not working. I am on target for a C+. This advice isn't very helpful for me unfortunately. You're essentially saying "just know the material and you'll do fine." Yes, one would think, but it's not working for me
I don't know what to tell you man. All you've got to do is learn the material. The rest is commentary.

I don't know what to tell you man. All you've got to do is learn the material. The rest is commentary.

I may have been unclear - I wasn't asking how I can improve to get an A. I think I am beyond that. I am asking basically whether or not I should withdraw from the class

I may have been unclear - I wasn't asking how I can improve to get an A. I think I am beyond that. I am asking basically whether or not I should withdraw from the class
I don't think a C+ will tank you, so no. But take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm only a premed.

Do you have any withdraws yet? If not, I would consider withdrawing if I were in your shoes. Make sure you're prepared to talk about it in a med school interview though. You won't want to appear as a quitter when things get difficult.

I don't think a C+ will tank you, so no. But take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm only a premed.

Noted, though I don't think a single W would tank me either. I'm more worried about continuing to be below average and getting a C or C-.

Does anyone else have any advice? I really would like to withdraw. This class is incredibly taxing and honestly I am out of willpower. I worked so hard for this last exam and still did poorly.

Would withdrawing make me uncompetitive for Baylor and UT Southwestern? (TX resident)