Looks like I'm not getting an AEGD, how long before I find out where I'll be stationed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Army here, I ranked my prefrences for AEGD programs through the army, was wait listed, and finally given a new batch of duty stations and told to rank them. I take it this is the army version of ghosting and I'm not getting an AEGD. I submitted my ranked list last week, how long should I expect to wait before I find out where I'm going?

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn’t selected for an AEGD either. Don’t worry about it and don’t take it personally. I swear they pick names out of a hat. But I found out middle of February last year but I was in contact with MAJ McCracken last year about reporting in May to my duty station. So, that may have played a factor in finding out that early.

Reactions: 1 user
The only reason this would frustrate me is if I wanted a career out of the military. Otherwise this would be a good thing in my opinion. You should get some sort of 1st year training at your first year duty station and now it won’t be a neutral year. AEGD’s are good for the dentist, but better for the military. They get a ton of labor out of you, a neutral year, and “advanced training” so now they think they can station you remotely.

I was Navy, but I assume things work similarly with you guys.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason this would frustrate me is if I wanted a career out of the military. Otherwise this would be a good thing in my opinion. You should get some sort of 1st year training at your first year duty station and now it won’t be a neutral year. AEGD’s are good for the dentist, but better for the military. They get a ton of labor out of you, a neutral year, and “advanced training” so now they think they can station you remotely.

I was Navy, but I assume things work similarly with you guys.
No the Army will send you wherever and often a 1yr AEGD will get shat on just as hard as a new grad, maybe at certain locations you can do a little more than exams and amalgams.

No logic to who gets picked for the 1yr. One of the top OMS who was selected for fellowship training didn’t get selected for the 1yr. Literally means nothing, it’s good for you to see how the Army plans on ****ing you over so you can get out a year sooner than otherwise

No the Army will send you wherever and often a 1yr AEGD will get shat on just as hard as a new grad, maybe at certain locations you can do a little more than exams and amalgams.

No logic to who gets picked for the 1yr. One of the top OMS who was selected for fellowship training didn’t get selected for the 1yr. Literally means nothing, it’s good for you to see how the Army plans on ****ing you over so you can get out a year sooner than otherwise
From what I've seen, they prefer to send AEGD-1 grads to brigades or MAP them to the med brigade so you can be the sole provider. Not a ton going to DENTAC. Plus you are eligible for 'fun' assignments such as Korea 1-year and Sinai.