Mar 20, 2010
Bloomsburg University
Status

I am not sure if this chart has been seen and/or posted before? But I wanted to see what others' opinions may be of how one so to speak chooses emergency medicine for their career and if there is a followed stereotype of those? Of course I know the terms used among the chart seem a bit short and somewhat over the top.

Attachments

GeneralVeers

Globus Hystericus
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
According to that chart I should be in Dermatology.

Also they should have included Ob/GYN somewhere on the "crazy" side.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
According to that chart I should be in Dermatology.
Me too. Thought about it (and probably could have matched in it) for about 45 minutes. When it became clear that my personal statement would read (in its entirety): "I want to do very little and get paid very much. Also, I hate rashes and Latin, but still want to make fat bank." I realized perhaps I should go for something I actually liked.

And I agree about OB/Gyn. Under "Significant Attention Span" it should split into, "Like to work your ass off and get yelled at?" and "Like to sit on your ass and ask 'and how does that make you feel?'."

doctorFred

intensive carer
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
, location, location!
Status
Attending Physician
that describes me pretty well, although i would argue against putting anesthesia under the "hard working" category (no offense. anesthesia would be my second choice if i wasn't doing emed.)

Mar 20, 2010
Bloomsburg University
Status
Is there really even a classification for people who choose their field in a medical environment such as emergency medicine? Such as the "crazy" term do you have to be a bit "out there" in order to deal with whatever cases come to you in the field or is that just stereotyping who, so to speak, "can and cannot handle it"

MSmentor018

Hooah!
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
it's always hot!
Status
Attending Physician
I love these kind of charts....there just funny stereotypes, it has nothing to with picking your career. do the rotation, talk to people in the field, a little reading, see what interests you

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Just because I haven't ranted about it in awhile:

ADD = not a good doctor.

willow18

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Didn't realize that Gas and Path work so hard. And to be a little nitpicky, opthos spend half their time in the dark as well.

MSmentor018

Hooah!
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
it's always hot!
Status
Attending Physician
I just finished a gas rotation, they work hard but in spurts. they said its' like flying a plane. once you get them tubed, on the vent, gassed, curtain up, taking off...it's autopilot and study time until they're ready to land.

lucky_deadman

Working Class Hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Southeast USA
Status
Attending Physician
Unfortunately a few of them finish residency and start jobs as attendings with those same lost puppy eyes.
No joke. It's bad when you think that you want to stay out of a certain area or city because one of your fellow residents is going to be working there.

gro2001

SOCMOB
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
the desert
Status
Attending Physician
I just finished a gas rotation, they work hard but in spurts. they said its' like flying a plane. once you get them tubed, on the vent, gassed, curtain up, taking off...it's autopilot and study time until they're ready to land.
I also heard the specialty described as "hours of boredom interrupted by moments of panic."

Squad51

Paracelsus'es Love Child
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Mysteryville
Visit site
Status
Just because I haven't ranted about it in awhile:

ADD = not a good doctor.
As a damn good doctor with a clear case of ADD, tested, medicated, wouldn't have gotten into medical school without the grade bump in grad school that occurred thanks to Ritalin and therapy, let me just say "Bite me!".

Rant all you want. I won't blithely say that anyone with ADD will make a good EP, but those of us who grew up having to develop our own coping mechanisms (read no drugs) can find that our "disadvantage" turns to an edge in the ED. At least it has for me and two of my closest friends who are in the same boat. All three of us have done very well - but thanks for your opinion!

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Somewhere in time and relative dimensions in space
Status
Medical Student
As a damn good doctor with a clear case of ADD, tested, medicated, wouldn't have gotten into medical school without the grade bump in grad school that occurred thanks to Ritalin and therapy, let me just say "Bite me!"...
Before you break out the high horse, I am pretty darn sure AB was referring to the tired EM stereotypes of them not focusing on their patients, being "crazy", and so on. He was not talking about diagnosed and treated disease (which would be about as valid as excluding someone for having HTN or DM :rolleyes:).

Squad51

Paracelsus'es Love Child
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
Mysteryville
Visit site
Status
Before you break out the high horse, I am pretty darn sure AB was referring to the tired EM stereotypes of them not focusing on their patients, being "crazy", and so on. He was not talking about diagnosed and treated disease (which would be about as valid as excluding someone for having HTN or DM :rolleyes:).
No, when you look at his other posts, he seems to believe his own BS.

exptherainbow

Jan 31, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Indeed, he seems to have this idea that people with treatable medical conditions shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine.

ABBY109

PGY-28
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
One of the common problem I have witnessed in non EM types rotating thru the ED is that they are hobbled by an "attention excess disorder"