Lopsided MCAT, advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaiCa86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT, looking for advice

I have a 3.9 GPA @UCSD
VR -6
PS-11
BS-10
27P

Also have extracurriculars and clinical work. What should I do? I really do not want to put the effort into applying if I don't have a chance in hell. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

retake. 6 in VR cuts you out of a lot of schools. if you get that to a 9+ and an overall 30 on your retake, you're a stellar canidate.

My most recent MCAT was pretty lopsided:

VR - 6
PS - 10
BS - 8

but I had good EC's and a high gpa so it all worked out....(got into an MD school). It's still probably a good idea to retake but just apply regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that. Makes me feel better.

I would retake - pretty risky to apply with such a low verbal.

How were you doing on practice tests? What do you think you need to do to improve the verbal?

I've been getting around 8 on verbal.

I have a 3.9 GPA @UCSD
VR -6
PS-11
BS-10
27P

Also have extracurriculars and clinical work. What should I do? I really do not want to put the effort into applying if I don't have a chance in hell. What do you think?

yeah, that is a tough call. you have a great gpa from a great school. if you got a vr 7 i would say don't retake, if you got a 5 i would say retake. damn that 6 is tough one. if you want to stay in cali, retake. if you could possibly find the effort to retake, i would. 6 is kinda low and you'll def do better next time. if you could even get it up to an 8 you would have no worries. but if you absolutely don't want to retake, i think you may still get in somewhere, but you are taking your chances.

I really do not want to put the effort into applying if I don't have a chance in hell. What do you think?

I wouldn't say you have no chance whatsoever... but, you're close to the right attitude, which should go something like this:

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time."

The application process is a long, expensive, and emotionally draining affair. You dont want to go through it twice, if for no other reason than the fact that it bites you in the wallet pretty hard. Do it once and do it right the first time.

So yeah, retake. The good news is, some schools will consider your "best score" for each section... so all you really need to do is kick that verbal up and you're in good shape. Obviously you dont want to slack on the BS or PS portions, but if you were to get 8 VR 9 BS 10 PS this next time around, some schools would consider your total as 29 instead of 27.

Definitely retake. Some schools told me that even 9 is too low :eek:

They also said that BS + VR should be minimum 20+, since these two sections are the best predictors for the med school success :(

Definitely retake. Some schools told me that even 9 is too low :eek:

They also said that BS + VR should be minimum 20+, since these two sections are the best predictors for the med school success :(

if you don't mind me asking... what schools told you a 9 was too low?? what's your gpa like??

I have a 3.9 GPA @UCSD
VR -6
PS-11
BS-10
27P

You are under the average MCAT score for allopathic medical school matriculants yet above in terms of undergraduate GPA. I would not say that you have "no chance in hell" of getting into medical school but you are under the average in terms of MCAT.

Some things that might be in your favor and would favor no retake.

English is not your first language. If this is the case, I would apply with that 27 and make sure that my LORs stated that my understanding and ease with English are far above that performance in verbal on the MCAT.

You know for sure that retaking the MCAT is not going to improve that verbal score. Go to the MCAT site and look at the percentages of folks who improve with a retake. The numbers are not very high. If you feel that you can shore up your skills, retake and do much better, then retake. If not, don't retake, apply broadly (dream schools, state schools [CA is rough] and schools with MCAT averages around 28-29).

Make sure that your PS is well-written (definitely written by you) and shows you as an individual in the most positive light. Your LORs are solid and the rest of your application is as above average as your GPA. Good luck!

you are obviously a smart guy... i think that if you work at it you can get at least on 8 on VR with some more work. I think if you can do that, it would def. be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are obviously a smart guy... i think that if you work at it you can get at least on 8 on VR with some more work. I think if you can do that, it would def. be worth it.

seconded.

even a 7 will help. I have a friend who had the identical score to you, didn't get any interviews. next year same scores except a 7 in verbal, got like 6 interviews MSTP also.

anecdotal so ymmv.

Is it just me or do a lot of the verbal scores seem to be really, really low after this past round of the MCAT?

Is it just me or do a lot of the verbal scores seem to be really, really low after this past round of the MCAT?

well it's CBT now so it could be "teh h4x"....

I have a 3.9 GPA @UCSD
VR -6
PS-11
BS-10
27P

That 6 is gonna hurt. Definitely dont apply with those scores. Retake the MCAT and work on VR more.

You're probably gonna want to retake, because many schools require minimum scores on each section of the MCAT to be considered. I know the state universities in Florida require no score to be lower than a 7 (I think).

Every interviewer has told me that your verbal is the most important score. Most schools won't interview if you go below 7 on any section. Your grades are great, your EC's sound great, I know it seems like a lot, but take the MCAT again and just focus focus focus on verbal.
Good luck
Albert Einstein class of 07

VR - 6
PS - 10
BS - 8

but I had good EC's and a high gpa so it all worked out....(got into an MD school). It's still probably a good idea to retake but just apply regardless.

what school?
This really proves MD admissions are a freakin crap shoot.

maybe its a good idea to call the schools you are interested in appying to. Some schools have a min of 8 in each section (College of WI) or and others are just an overall average of a certain score. Yale dosnt have a min. So go ask the schools you want to get into.

maybe its a good idea to call the schools you are interested in appying to. Some schools have a min of 8 in each section (College of WI) or and others are just an overall average of a certain score. Yale dosnt have a min. So go ask the schools you want to get into.

I think I'll do that. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I have a friend who just got his MCAT scores back recently and he wanted to know what he should do with his lopsided score and I didn't know really what to tell him.

He has a 3.1 GPA and a 26O MCAT (11 VR - 9 BS - 6 PS). I think he would have a good shot at DO schools then MD schools, but what do you guys think ?

I leaning towards retaking the mcats. Its gonna hurt.

Ad Von K,
What school are you going to?

I personally got into med school with a 6 on VR

I got a 6, 12, 11 (6 on verbal) and I am not a URM. I'm an Asian-American male from Cali.

It's possible, but I'd have to admit, it's not the med school I'd like to go to.

so. can u share which "med school" u got into with a 6. i need to apply to that one.

I know the state universities in Florida require no score to be lower than a 7 (I think).

Each of the four FL MD schools have accepted people with a 6 in VR. One of my friends is an MS-1 at the same school as you and got a 10, 6, 10 on his MCAT.

So u can get in w/a 6. Now i have a hard decision to make.

I got into Michigan State

I'm from CA and also got an interview from UC davis. I interviewed at SUNY Upstate and Drexel too. I applied super late (turned in primaries in September!) Don't do that!....

Now, I would have to admit, this process was so hard...and right now, I don't even know if I would go to Michigan State..I feel like retaking to improve my verbal score.

If i were to say that I was going to retake the mcat in Aug and submit my primaries now. What's going to happen? Do they send the secondary, or just delay my app?

It seems like more and more schools are sending secondaries to everyone nowadays....i would just go ahead and submit, then retake in August. as soon as you scores get back, send LOIs....many of my friends got interview invites last year the day after the august scores came out (of course then it was 8 weeks cause of the paper exam)

If i were to say that I was going to retake the mcat in Aug and submit my primaries now. What's going to happen? Do they send the secondary, or just delay my app?

why do you seem so against taking the mcat again, especially if your chances will be drastically improved if you score higher?

by the way, what's your major at UCSD? (if you don't mind sharing)

It seems like more and more schools are sending secondaries to everyone nowadays....i would just go ahead and submit, then retake in August. as soon as you scores get back, send LOIs....many of my friends got interview invites last year the day after the august scores came out (of course then it was 8 weeks cause of the paper exam)

Of course they are sending more secondaries to everyone. Secondaries = secondary source of income for office parties and the dean's parking space! Really this is a great source of free income and why not send them to people who you will reject anyway and then laugh as you cash the check at the bank.

I got into the Medical College of Wisconsin. I got an 8 on the verbal section of a previous MCAT I took. MCW used this score instead of the 6 on my most recent MCAT......Good people!

I got into the Medical College of Wisconsin. I got an 8 on the verbal section of a previous MCAT I took. MCW used this score instead of the 6 on my most recent MCAT......Good people!

sorry but are you a disadvantaged minority?

VR - 6
PS - 10
BS - 8

A 24 makes you a borderline candidate for a D.O..... more than the OP, you have the right idea to retake.

Nope, not a disadvantaged minority....white male

I've been getting around 8 on verbal.
I'd keep working on that (read more stuff too, WSJ, Economist, Atlantic Monthly, Scientific American, all good stuff) because a 9 or a 10 would make you competitive at way more schools.

A 24 makes you a borderline candidate for a D.O..... more than the OP, you have the right idea to retake.
Err...he already got into an MD school...I doubt he needs to retake =P

Obviously his case is pretty exceptional though.

I have a 3.9 GPA @UCSD
VR -6
PS-11
BS-10
27P

Your other scores are high compared to your VR. Like others have said you would be a great candidate if you bumped your VR. And from your question, are you considering taking the MCAT again or just giving up on med school if these aren't good enough? It almost sounds like the latter because you don't mention trying it a second time.

And GO TRITONS:horns:. Half fish, half man, and all fork.

Of course they are sending more secondaries to everyone. Secondaries = secondary source of income for office parties and the dean's parking space! Really this is a great source of free income and why not send them to people who you will reject anyway and then laugh as you cash the check at the bank.

Seriously, secondary fees are such a huge scam...you're basically selling a form to fill out for $100 :laugh:
That's an easy $500K if you have 5000 applicants...

I have a friend who just got his MCAT scores back recently and he wanted to know what he should do with his lopsided score and I didn't know really what to tell him.

He has a 3.1 GPA and a 26O MCAT (11 VR - 9 BS - 6 PS). I think he would have a good shot at DO schools then MD schools, but what do you guys think ?
I'd tell him to learn chem and physics, because the 11 in verbal clearly indicates that he should be able to score similarly if he just gets the chem and physics down pat.

Any plans for Sungod tomorrow!?!! :horns: Can't wait to see T.I. :D

Haha no doubt SUNGOD! I'm biochem and I'm planning on taking the MCATS again most likely. It's just hard to get into gear again and prep for the mcats. I think ill apply now, and say that I'm going to take another mcat in aug.

I may retake MCAT again. If I were you, I'd try to take it end of July

LOIs? What is that? Letter of Intent?

HAHA Who is dis?!?! Small world