Lopsided MCAT? need advice (4.0 gpa 30S MCAT BUT (7V,11P, 12B)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partlycloudyhvn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall, I was wondering if you could help me out.

I have a 4.0 GPA (science and non)
good ECs (1 3rd author pub., honors thesis, PI on research experiment, volunteering, medical mission trip to the dominican rep., piano player, three significant leadership positions

I was told my LOR were very good, as I think are my essays

BUT I have a MCAT 30S, with a 7 V:( 12B:)11P:rolleyes: (and yes, eNglish is my first language)

I am a TX resident but really want to go to a school in the NE, and I wanted to aim high but now am very scared... I'm applying to these schools:

dartmouth
Temple
Univ. of Maryland
Boston
Brown (I'm graduating with Liberal Arts Honors)
Pitt
Univ. of Virginia
Baylor
UTMB Gavleston
Univ. of Houston
Penn State
UT Southwestern

I'd love your advice! What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I recall, I think an 8 in a section is the point many schools screen at. Your scores are fine, so I think you'll be in good shape as long as you don't get screened out. Try calling a few admissions departments of schools you're interested in to see if they have a section score cutoff.

Thanks the suggestion, I'll look into to that.

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you have to worry about it, 7 is simply average and you did well on the BS and PS

good ECs (1 3rd author pub., honors thesis, PI on research experiment, volunteering, medical mission trip to the dominican rep., piano player, three significant leadership positions

BUT I have a MCAT 30S, with a 7 V:( 12B:)11P:rolleyes: (and yes, eNglish is my first language)

I am a TX resident but really want to go to a school in the NE, and I wanted to aim high but now am very scared... I'm applying to these schools:

dartmouth
Temple
Univ. of Maryland
Boston
Pitt
Univ. of Virginia
Baylor
UTMB Gavleston
Univ. of Houston
Penn State
UT Southwestern

I've been told that anything less than a 9 on verbal will keep you out of UVA. I can't confirm though.

dartmouth
Temple
Univ. of Maryland
Boston
Pitt
Univ. of Virginia
Baylor
UTMB Gavleston
Univ. of Houston
Penn State
UT Southwestern

Congrats on the gpa. I know people who have had similar stats (4.0 with 30-31 MCAT), and they did fine application wise. I think you'll probably get screened out of Baylor, Pitt, Dartmouth, but otherwise you definitely stand a shot at the others. Good luck.