Lopsided MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kocb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my score back from the April 2007 administration.

BS 15
PS 11
VR 8

Total: 34M

I also have 3.85 science + math GPA from an ivy league school with 1 year of independent research including a published paper. I have plenty of other ec's and clinical experience.

Is the fact that my MCAT is so lopsided going to hurt me? I am considering a retake to improve the verbal and essay score but I really don't want my bio score to do down. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

BS 15
PS 11
VR 8

I also have 3.85 science + math GPA from an ivy league school with 1 year of independent research including a published paper. I have plenty of other ec's and clinical experience.

Is the fact that my MCAT is so lopsided going to hurt me? I am considering a retake to improve the verbal and essay score but I really don't want my bio score to do down. Any advice?
There have been people with lopsided mcat scores who have gotten admission.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=383449

If I were you, I would apply with those stats. You should get in somewhere.

congrats! You're good to go.. APPLY NOW!! the 8 will not hurt you, but won't help you either.. don't retake.. the chances of you doing worse are HIGH.

YOU DONE GOOD! now get that application in!

I'm a Bio major with a 3.8 GPA and fairly good EC's...I want to stay in Louisiana but am afraid my slightly lopsided scores will hurt me...

12 V
10 P
9 B
= 31Q

advice please, thank you

Members don't see this ad :)

BS 15
PS 11
VR 8

My MCAT:

BS 13
PS 13
VR 8

34O

and my GPA is similar to yours. I've talked to a lot of people lately--pre-med advisor, doctors, two ADCOMS, are the most notable--and they have all told me to run with it. If you're cool with your state school and don't need to attend a top tier, I would say don't retake. Your VR will probably get you screened at the top tiers, but if you don't want to retake, and that's your dream, I would say apply anyway, but try and get a recommendation that would suggest you have good communication skills.

Some of the best advice I've gotten lately is to stick with your state school, save 15k a year, study your ass off for the boards (no more verbal! And here's a link to an article referencing a study that suggests that your BS score has the highest correlation with STEP 1 scores: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCAT#_note-1), and place into top residency.

All in all, I was told that if you write a stellar PS, interview well, and can explain your low VR score, your lopsided MCAT won't stop you from gaining acceptance to multiple schools.