LOR- Adjunct Psych Professor vs. Distinguished Non-Psych Professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pintopaint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am torn between choosing two professors for my third letter of rec, and am looking for advice on whether one seems like the better choice.

The first person is an adjunct psychology professor. I was in their experimental psychology course, and did very well and have a good relationship with them. However, I am worried that her adjunct title, in addition to her lack of publications, will not provide the letter with much weight.

The second person is a computer scientist, with whom I have collaborated with during a NSF funded research program (the program consisted of psychologists collaborating with computer scientists, he is the PI for the computer science/vision lab). I feel that a distinguished professor who is actively publishing will hold more weight, however, he is not a psychologist.

I am confident that both would write good, strong letters. However, I am not sure which will look better to the admissions committee: a good letter from an adjunct psychology professor (who has very little publications) or a good letter from a distinguished computer scientist with many publications?

Many schools mention they prefer letters from psychologists, which is why I am torn.
Also, I do not want to submit 4 letters since most of my schools clearly state they want 3.

Oh, and concerning the other two letters, 1 will be from the PI for the lab in which I am currently a paid research assistant, and the 2nd letter will be from a former psychology professor (got an A+), who I also did an independent study with/was a research assistant in her lab.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some follow up questions: Would the non-psychologist's work be known to psychologists? Also does it relate to your own research interests?

Also, the adjunct does have a PhD, right? If not, I would say s/he would not be a good option.

Good luck,
Dr. E

Some follow up questions: Would the non-psychologist's work be known to psychologists? Also does it relate to your own research interests?

Also, the adjunct does have a PhD, right? If not, I would say s/he would not be a good option.

Good luck,
Dr. E
The adjunct does have a PhD (from an Ivy League university, if that matters)

As far as the non-psychologists work being known to psychologists, I am going to assume it isn't. At least, not most of it. And although I am collaborating on a research project with him, it doesn't completely relate to my main research interests/what I am hoping to pursue in graduate school. (Although, it does pertain a bit to my clinical interests, since it has to do with creating assistive technologies for a specific population of people)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

The adjunct does have a PhD (from an Ivy League university, if that matters)

As far as the non-psychologists work being known to psychologists, I am going to assume it isn't. At least, not most of it. And although I am collaborating on a research project with him, it doesn't completely relate to my main research interests/what I am hoping to pursue in graduate school. (Although, it does pertain a bit to my clinical interests, since it has to do with creating assistive technologies for a specific population of people)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

I know this sounds cliche, but go with your gut. I am sure that you had different interactions, experiences with each of them, so go with the person who you believe will be able to speak most coherently and positively to your potential as a researcher. From what you said, this would be the non-psych professor. Taking ONE course with a professor and having a "good relationship" doesn't sound like it was as significant as someone you did research with. I am sure (or hope) the admissions committee won't simply throw out one recommendation letter because they deem it unworthy just because of the recommender's position in the tenure ladder. So try not to focus so much on the writer's prestige, and more of how well he/she can write about you. If you are unsure how well one or the other can write about you, then that should tell you right there who to choose.

yes, go with the one who can write a better letter?

It sounds like the non-psych one seems better, it will show some variety at least, and as long as it's strong in content, then you are fine.