LOR advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmart

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year with 4 letters. I obtained a letter from an ochem professor (knew me extremely well during my time in his class), another o chem professor (got an A in the class and also cared for him as a patient), manager of my job at the hospital and an MD that I did some research with years ago. The only person that really knew me well recently was my manager. I graduated in 2008 so my other 3 letters were based upon "old" relationships.

I am re-applying this year. To be honest, I really NEED a letter from a recent professor that can vouch for my smartness because my gpa and mcat are below average. I do not have that option. I am currently taking a class but the professor is literally only at the exams and rumor has it for a TA to write it is far from ideal. I decided I wanted to make some changes and wanted some feedback.

1. Is it recommended to update letters? There has not been a huge change in my life since I have applied last year. I was going to get a new one from my manager but my ochem professor from years ago I didn't think would have much to add. I have not seen him since I asked him last year, and I'm in a class but have yet to receive a grade.

2. I was going to replace the MD with another physician who has a "higher" status in the med center I work in AND serves on some committees, but does not really know me personally. Would this be better than my other physician letter since the relationship is "fresher?"

3. There is another woman with "good title" according to her that works with the business side of the hospital. She serves on some of the committees I do for work and adores me. I wanted to get a letter from here as well.

4. For a non-traditional, is it awful to only have one "academic letter?"

5. I could also obtain a letter from a youth minister who I have worked with for 4 plus years that could speak a lot to my character.

Any other advice I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied last year with 4 letters. I obtained a letter from an ochem professor (knew me extremely well during my time in his class), another o chem professor (got an A in the class and also cared for him as a patient), manager of my job at the hospital and an MD that I did some research with years ago. The only person that really knew me well recently was my manager. I graduated in 2008 so my other 3 letters were based upon "old" relationships.

I am re-applying this year. To be honest, I really NEED a letter from a recent professor that can vouch for my smartness because my gpa and mcat are below average. I do not have that option. I am currently taking a class but the professor is literally only at the exams and rumor has it for a TA to write it is far from ideal. I decided I wanted to make some changes and wanted some feedback.

1. Is it recommended to update letters? There has not been a huge change in my life since I have applied last year. I was going to get a new one from my manager but my ochem professor from years ago I didn't think would have much to add. I have not seen him since I asked him last year, and I'm in a class but have yet to receive a grade.

it doesn't hurt to update, especially if you've been keeping in touch

2. I was going to replace the MD with another physician who has a "higher" status in the med center I work in AND serves on some committees, but does not really know me personally. Would this be better than my other physician letter since the relationship is "fresher?"

there's more value on knowing you personally than their status.

3. There is another woman with "good title" according to her that works with the business side of the hospital. She serves on some of the committees I do for work and adores me. I wanted to get a letter from here as well.

4. For a non-traditional, is it awful to only have one "academic letter?"

kind of, yes. shouldn't you still show academic capability? but you should contact schools about this. i think some will allow.

5. I could also obtain a letter from a youth minister who I have worked with for 4 plus years that could speak a lot to my character.

Any other advice I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

see bolded