LOR advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDurgs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just looking for some general advice about letters of rec.
1. How many LORs should I aim for?
2. What do most med schools ask for in terms of science professor/physician/PI/non-science professor/etc?
I don't want to waste a physicians time writing a LOR if most med schools don't ask for it

So far I will have one from my Ochem professor and my PI. I could also possibly get one from a president of 2 large medical groups in my state, but once again, I don't want to waste his time if I wouldn't be able to use the letter anyways.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MSAR could tell you what most schools require, I advise investing in this. Typically most schools like 2 Science letters, 1 non-science, but it varies drastically.

Reactions: 1 user
The general requirement for many schools is 2 science LOR and 1 non-science LOR, but you should double check by using MSAR and going on the website of each school you're planning to apply to. I would get any LOR that you may end up using to be on the safe side. You can decide which LOR to use later when you actually submit your application so it's better to have them just in case. I personally submitted 5 LOR for most schools I applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds great! Thanks guys

Hi everyone, just looking for some general advice about letters of rec.
1. How many LORs should I aim for?
2. What do most med schools ask for in terms of science professor/physician/PI/non-science professor/etc?
I don't want to waste a physicians time writing a LOR if most med schools don't ask for it

So far I will have one from my Ochem professor and my PI. I could also possibly get one from a president of 2 large medical groups in my state, but once again, I don't want to waste his time if I wouldn't be able to use the letter anyways.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
2 sci faculty, 1 nonsci faculty, 1pi, 2 physician letters is what I did.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any benefit to having more letters?