LoR Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astrithir

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pre-med committee is writing my med school letter and requires all LORs be in before they start to write the letter. I have asked for 5 letters, and 4 have now reached the school. Of the 4 letters, three are from science professors and one is from a clinic volunteer supervisor. The fifth letter is to be from my undergraduate advisor. I never took a class from him or did research under him, but I did visit him regularly over three years to discuss class schedules, future plans, summer plans, etc.

I asked for the letter about two months ago and asked if he could send it in by July 1. He said it was no problem. When I checked with my pre-med committee on July 15, however, they hadn't received anything. I asked my advisor and he said that he hadn't finished it yet, but that he'll work on it.

What do you think I should do?
a) wait for his letter?
b) tank the letter and give the committee the go-ahead?
c) something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say realy, theres no tangible way that the recommendation can lend credence to itself so it definitely will be hard. It all depends on how well your other recommenders know you. Do they know you very well? Or are they just people you've done wel in classes with?

Your advisors recommendation will be helpful in gauging your character, seeing that he has worked with you for a long time. However, i would almost be inclined to call him a casual acquiantance almost, because though he did advise you, he can't really directly speak about your academic abilties. He would only be able to attest to the grades you got in other classes and such.

Personally, if you can do without it, i would (at least i would). Id go ahead and just tell your committee to start writing it (you're already kind of late now, seeing that committee probably still has alot to write and by now you should have been handing in secondaries if you want to be considered early). Id only include your advisor, if and only if, my other recommdors do not know much about me outside of their classroom and can only really write a rec based on my grades.

braluk said:
Hard to say realy, theres no tangible way that the recommendation can lend credence to itself so it definitely will be hard. It all depends on how well your other recommenders know you. Do they know you very well? Or are they just people you've done wel in classes with?

The clinic coordinator has known me for about a year.
Science Prof A gave me an A in his o-chem class. :D
I was the sole TA with Science Prof B.
Science Prof C is my research advisor.