LOR and Application Deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HKDO08

Ivan the Terrible
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of difficulty getting some straggler letters and a few of the programs I have applied to have Nov 1st as the deadline. Is the deadline including all the required letter of recommendations as well? I hope it's not the case because it does take time to get the letters done, mailed to the dean's office, and then uploaded to ERAS. I hate things that are beyond my control!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting some straggler letters and a few of the programs I have applied to have Nov 1st as the deadline. Is the deadline including all the required letter of recommendations as well? I hope it's not the case because it does take time to get the letters done, mailed to the dean's office, and then uploaded to ERAS. I hate things that are beyond my control!

Thanks!

I doubt it. Just about all of the programs asked that I have they letters in by my interview date. Some even offered exceptions beyond that.

i would check each program's website or call them to clarify. some programs state that your app must be "complete" by the deadline and they define "complete" as having all supporting documents submitted. others clearly state that you're fine as long you have everything in by the interview date or even the rank order list submission date.

Any advice on how to get straggler letters in? I have 2 out there in the ether somewhere, 1 scanned into ERAS. I've tried the passive-aggressive "Thank You Note"/reminder, the email "oh by the way, here's the address again in case there were issues", and the direct phone call contact "were you having any trouble? do you need another ERAS cover letter?".

I still have 2 unaccounted for. I've already had 1 interview, but the rest of mine aren't till December. Unfortunately, 1 of the programs I haven't heard from is my top choice program, and I'm concerned that my incomplete application may be hindering my ability to get an interview there. Sadly, one of the letters that's missing is from attendings at this very program from my away rotation there.

Any advice????? :scared:

Any advice on how to get straggler letters in? I have 2 out there in the ether somewhere, 1 scanned into ERAS. I've tried the passive-aggressive "Thank You Note"/reminder, the email "oh by the way, here's the address again in case there were issues", and the direct phone call contact "were you having any trouble? do you need another ERAS cover letter?".

I still have 2 unaccounted for. I've already had 1 interview, but the rest of mine aren't till December. Unfortunately, 1 of the programs I haven't heard from is my top choice program, and I'm concerned that my incomplete application may be hindering my ability to get an interview there. Sadly, one of the letters that's missing is from attendings at this very program from my away rotation there.

Any advice????? :scared:

Your letter writer's secretary is probably the best contact you have. If you are nice / polite to them, they will likely spur your LOR writer to get it done.

My ERAS app was submitted long ago, but only 1 of my LOR has been uploaded into ERAS. Application deadlines of Nov 1-Nov 15 are quickly approaching for many of my programs. However--I have already been offered interviews at every program I applied to except one (and I don't really care about that last one). So my question is--how important is it for me to (politely!) nag my LOR writers at this point? Will programs who offered me interviews based on the rest of my app change their minds about me if my LOR writers lag?

My ERAS app was submitted long ago, but only 1 of my LOR has been uploaded into ERAS. Application deadlines of Nov 1-Nov 15 are quickly approaching for many of my programs. However--I have already been offered interviews at every program I applied to except one (and I don't really care about that last one). So my question is--how important is it for me to (politely!) nag my LOR writers at this point? Will programs who offered me interviews based on the rest of my app change their minds about me if my LOR writers lag?

In the letters I received from several of the programs that offered me an interview, it stated that the LOR's just need to be in by the interview date.

3rd year Canadian student here so please forgive my ignorance of the US match process.

When do you typically interview? Here there is a set period in late-Jan to early-Feb when there is a break from clerkships for a national interview period. What would be the range of dates within which you could be interviewed in the US? And I take it from the above discussion that LoR deadlines are determined by the programs and often correspond to the interview date?

Thanks!

3rd year Canadian student here so please forgive my ignorance of the US match process.

When do you typically interview? Here there is a set period in late-Jan to early-Feb when there is a break from clerkships for a national interview period. What would be the range of dates within which you could be interviewed in the US?

Interviews can be anywhere from September through February. However, the vast majority will fall in November and January, with a few smattered around in October, first two weeks of December and 1st week of February.

And I take it from the above discussion that LoR deadlines are determined by the programs and often correspond to the interview date?

Thanks!

Programs may set any deadline they wish and the deadlines for LORs may have no relation to interview dates. Some programs will not review applications until they are complete (ie, all letters are in), others will offer interviews without a complete application but expect your letters to be in before interview, etc. There are no hard and fast rules but the best way is to have everything in as early as possible so that you are not in the position that the OP is.