LOR and clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

i was told by one of my professors to draft my letter and that they would edit it and sign it.

I wrote a strong letter ( imo) and used the word "strongly recommend" in my letter

however, when i saw the edited letter, the professor took out the word strongly and just wrote "recommend".

should i still use this letter? i was pretty upset about it but can understand why he would ( i missed several classes due to illness but still did well overall). i wrote personal anecdotes as well in the LOR that made me look intellectually curious and professional.

your clarification would be appreciated. i will have 7 LORs total and expect the rest to be good/very good.;

Thank you

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

hello all,

i was told by one of my professors to draft my letter and that they would edit it and sign it.

I wrote a strong letter ( imo) and used the word "strongly recommend" in my letter

however, when i saw the edited letter, the professor took out the word strongly and just wrote "recommend".

should i still use this letter? i was pretty upset about it but can understand why he would ( i missed several classes due to illness but still did well overall). i wrote personal anecdotes as well in the LOR that made me look intellectually curious and professional.

your clarification would be appreciated. i will have 7 LORs total and expect the rest to be good/very good.;

Thank you

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn

We won't really be able to help you out unless we get more information. Did his edits change the letter to raise any red flags? Is this a science letter? If so, what are your other science letters like? How long ago did you have this professor?

Reactions: 1 user
Isn’t writing a LOR on behalf of your professor (or even a draft) prohibited by AMCAS?

EDIT: Or even seeing for that matter

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. My professor wanted me to write it because he was busy.

He didn't raise any red flags in the email but took out certain strong words that would make me stand out.

He did say I was a good guy and a great problem solver, etc.

Should I still use this or is it better not to?

Isn’t writing a LOR on behalf of your professor (or even a draft) prohibited by AMCAS?

EDIT: Or even seeing for that matter
No, it's not against the rules. Applicants have the right to view any letter their letter-writers submit. By waiving that right, you're not declaring you haven't seen the letter, you're simply saying you can no longer demand to see it. Whether you've waived your right or not, your letter-writers can still show you the letter of their own volition. And it's perfectly legit for a letter-writer to say "Write an LOR, and if I agree with it I'll affix my signature." Even then, you can waive your right to view it, and they retain the right to show it to you anyway.

Thank you for your response. My professor wanted me to write it because he was busy.

He didn't raise any red flags in the email but took out certain strong words that would make me stand out.

He did say I was a good guy and a great problem solver, etc.

Should I still use this or is it better not to?
Your professor deliberately made a point of degrading the letter from "strong" to "lukewarm". Don't use it.

Reactions: 4 users
The letter isn't a science letter but moreso a volunteer experience. My academic letters are strong. I mainly wanted this letter to convey my passions.

Should I exclude it? I have a lower GPA which is why I want to make my ecs stand out, etc

Another thing is that I'm getting a committee letter. Do you think I should at least send this letter to my committee so they have a letter that verifies my experience?

It happens. There isn't anything anyone can do to stop it. It isn't against the rules.

Letters about volunteer experiences (other than research) are generally a waste of time. I would not send, particularly if it is only "recommend" which is like a C- in LOR land, except in Canada where humility still reigns.

Reactions: 2 users
If I remember correctly, @Catalystik feels very strongly on this by saying it shouldn't be happening
Asking a candidate to write their own letter suggests to me a lack of investment in a successful outcome for the student. Or unfamiliarity with the process. Or laziness. When an experienced faculty member (or other person) is a strong advocate for a person, they tend to give an LOR their best effort. JMO

Asking a candidate to write their own letter suggests to me a lack of investment in a successful outcome for the student. Or unfamiliarity with the process. Or laziness. When an experienced faculty member (or other person) is a strong advocate for a person, they tend to give an LOR their best effort. JMO
Its better than a mediocre letter.

You have 7 letters, if this one is lukewarm don't use it. He clearly doesn't want to "highly" recommend you.

Its laziness.