LOR and how long can they last

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husky10501

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I wont be applying until next summer but had a question regarding LOR. I have enough to fulfill the requirements for most medical schools but am a bit concern on how long they're valid. I got most of mine a little bit over a year ago so they'll be around 2 years old when I apply. I might throw in one or two new letters but I just graduated and they'll mostly be nonacademic ones. Would it still be okay to apply with 2 year old letters? Does anyone have the answer to this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

So I wont be applying until next summer but had a question regarding LOR. I have enough to fulfill the requirements for most medical schools but am a bit concern on how long they're valid. I got most of mine a little bit over a year ago so they'll be around 2 years old when I apply. I might throw in one or two new letters but I just graduated and they'll mostly be nonacademic ones. Would it still be okay to apply with 2 year old letters? Does anyone have the answer to this?

Thanks!

I think that would be fine. Especially because med schools want to see letters from professors (both science and non-science), they cannot really expect you to have brand new letters if you aren't taking classes.

It would be better to get some newer letters though, like you are planning on doing. People change of the years, so I'm sure they want to see a recent assessment. But, if you are out of school, I don't think having old professor letters will be a problem.