LOR Columbia - Sticky Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I currently have 4 LOR's (2 dental related, 2 science professors) and I'm set to apply to all the dental schools on my list except Columbia. They require THREE science professors, however, I won't be getting a 3rd science LOR until the end of June at the earliest.

Should I submit my application before then and just send my 5th science letter directly to Columbia as soon as I get it? Will they allow this or do they require everything to go through AADSAS (specifically talking about only Columbia)? This is extremely important because I'm one of those students who has a lower than average GPA/sGPA (3.3~) but I plan on smashing the DAT out the ballpark (aiming for a 24 TS based on topscore/qvaultdat/destroyer/etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Columbia is one of the few schools that require three science LORs. I've read about ppl on SDN who got interviewed there with less than 3 LORS, so I think you should be fine. If they need the third, you can always have that sent to them directly, but as always, call and confirm with them.

I've heard of them overlooking the 3rd letter too. I'm personally applying there and only have two academic letters and won't have a professor to write me a third until August, and even then I can't guarantee my current professor will even write one. I'm submitting my application as if it's complete now, and I'll ask for a letter in August but if I don't get one I'm not going to sweat it; based on what I've seen they don't seem to make a huge deal of it but you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I didn't even know they required LORs from three science professors. I only had one :p and I'll be attending Columbia this Fall.

Interviewed and was accepted with 2 science and a dentist LOR. I don't think they follow that rule to much. Good Luck!

That's really good to hear. I'm currently sitting with 2 sci, 1 dentist, and 1 dentist/supervisor letters and wasn't looking forward to having to snag another science unless it was totally necessary.

Has anybody actually been requested to provide a third letter prior to their interview?

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That whole 3 science letters really ruined my mood when I found out the requirements earlier last month. I guess I'll apply... just gotta wreck this DAT, baby.

Same - I'm in Columbia CDM class of 2016 and had 4: 1 Dentist, 1 science prof and 2 work (I've been working for 5 years).

OP, I was in a similar situation and was thinking about not applying there, but the responses to your thread gave me some hope.

Thanks!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That whole 3 science letters really ruined my mood when I found out the requirements earlier last month. I guess I'll apply... just gotta wreck this DAT, baby.

Is studying for the DAT making you go a little crazy? Haha, good luck with your studies and the DAT!!

OP, I was in a similar situation and was thinking about not applying there, but the responses to your thread gave me some hope.

Thanks!

Is studying for the DAT making you go a little crazy? Haha, good luck with your studies and the DAT!!

Haha, your scores and wcombs scores give me hope. Time to get that 23-24!