LOR deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.. I was wondering if there was such a thing?

I've read old posts but they date all the way back to 2010 so I was not sure to trust them or not.

Basically, I'll have 3 LORs upon submitting my app but will still be waiting for a 4th one.

1. My question is, can I send in that fourth one after I submit my ERAS app?
2. If I can, does this put me at a disadvantage in some way?
3. Also, if I am able to do such thing, would the LOR just pop up to program directors or is it up to them to "manually" check that I have submitted it for them to add it to my application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can, I believe, add a 4th LOR later. I don't think it puts you at a huge disadvantage as long as your app is complete (unless the 4th LOR is some heavy-hitter, or a chair letter when you're applying to a specialty that requires it, etc).

Not sure about the last question.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Yes, you can assign a 4th letter at any time.
2. Mixed. Most programs probably have a 3 letter minimum for application. That means your app will be considered complete with 3. If a program reviews your app and decides not to interview you, they are unlikely to go back when there's a 4th letter. If a program chooses to interview you, then the 4th letter will certainly be considered as part of the process. So it depends how important this letter is to your application.
3. It would become part of your online application. I can ask ERAS to see what's new. The next time I look at your app (for any reason) I'd see it. Some programs might print out applications and then review them on paper (seems crazy to me, but I'm sure someone does it), in that case they may not see it. In general, I think this isn't something to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users