LOR Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p1ggy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm applying in Pediatrics this year and I just ran into a huge problem regarding LORs. So far, my letters are: (1) Chairmans letter, (2) Letter from PI I've worked with for nearly 6 years who's an MD/PhD in Neurology, and (3) Peds attending I worked with during my Sub-I.

I asked another Peds attending I worked with for a letter, but apparently he's infamous for agreeing to write letters but never actually writing them. It's highly unlikely that he's going to end up writing my letter since he hasn't responded to me in 2-3 months despite me constantly reminding him about the letter. I was really banking on his letter, so I didn't ask anybody else to write me one.

My question is...should I just go ahead and submit the Chairman's letter as a 3rd letter even though it's probably quite impersonal and most of the programs I'm applying to don't require it? Or should I ask my Family Med attending I worked closely with last month to write me a letter last minute?

Please help!!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I'm applying in Pediatrics this year and I just ran into a huge problem regarding LORs. So far, my letters are: (1) Chairmans letter, (2) Letter from PI I've worked with for nearly 6 years who's an MD/PhD in Neurology, and (3) Peds attending I worked with during my Sub-I.

I asked another Peds attending I worked with for a letter, but apparently he's infamous for agreeing to write letters but never actually writing them. It's highly unlikely that he's going to end up writing my letter since he hasn't responded to me in 2-3 months despite me constantly reminding him about the letter. I was really banking on his letter, so I didn't ask anybody else to write me one.

My question is...should I just go ahead and submit the Chairman's letter as a 3rd letter even though it's probably quite impersonal and most of the programs I'm applying to don't require it? Or should I ask my Family Med attending I worked closely with last month to write me a letter last minute?

Please help!!! :(

Do your programs require chair letters?
Chair letters are not useful unless the programs request them.
My experience with chair letters are that you literally get a re-post all your comments from clerkship/sub-I, indicate what grade you got, etc.
-The execpetion is that their are some authors that request to interview you and ask you questions before writing your chair letter -that may be useful.
-i would avoid getting chair letter if you can but if the other attending doesnt hand in anything then I guess you have no choice.

FOr example our psych chair typed out what she would be writing for our psych chair letters (not applying to psych nor will i be using this letter)

x student completed his psych clerkship from x (date) to x (date)
Here are his clerkship comments
Here are his marks
Insert some things she saw were unique in your CV
He is well qualified and will be a excellent physiian
Signed author

Last edited:
I'm starting to get a little nervous =/
Despite sending emails nearly every week to all my letter writers, I only have 1 letter so far from the departmental chair. I'm praying that the letters are uploaded by Sunday :( but if the letters are submitted lets say 1-2 weeks late, is that a huge blow to my application? My step 1 is 213 and my clinical grades are mostly HP.

I'm starting to get a little nervous =/
Despite sending emails nearly every week to all my letter writers, I only have 1 letter so far from the departmental chair. I'm praying that the letters are uploaded by Sunday :( but if the letters are submitted lets say 1-2 weeks late, is that a huge blow to my application? My step 1 is 213 and my clinical grades are mostly HP.

same boat regarding the letters. still waiting on 2 to be upload. sent reminder emails that have not been replied to. nothing we can do but just patiently wait

Reactions: 1 user
Same here, waiting for one letter to be processed (its already uploaded), and another one to be uploaded. I think significant number of applicants will not be able to submit a complete application by 15th of September. Anyway, as someone mentioned here, one letter less may not change the outcome of your overall application. If they liked your application they will send you an invite right away, if they don't.. I don't think that letter will change their mind. If they are in doubt, they will wait for the letter and you have an excuse to disturb them and send the program an email reminding them to look at your application again :D.

Yeah the only thing that makes me nervous is that according to this forum, PD's have a filter where they can select to view only complete applications. If you have less than the required number of letters, then they won't see your application if they use that filter :(

Yeah the only thing that makes me nervous is that according to this forum, PD's have a filter where they can select to view only complete applications. If you have less than the required number of letters, then they won't see your application if they use that filter :(

True enough, if PDs use that filter, they won't see an incomplete application the first day--but they will see it once it's complete. It's not all or nothing on 9/15. I guarantee you'll still get reviewed once the letters get uploaded.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but on the topic of chair letters and any other letters that haven't been uploaded yet... If a program requires a chair letter and that's the only letter I'm waiting on to be uploaded, what happens when I submit on the 15th, are those programs that require a chair viewing my app as incomplete?

I'm in a similar situation for this cycle...

I keep getting mixed advice on whether I should wait for a strong LOR to be submitted by Oct 1 or upload a generic chair letter now (never worked with the chair directly) to complete my application which was submitted Sept 15 (currently have 2 letters in, which I am confident are strong). Applying to Peds if that makes any difference. If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

I keep getting mixed advice on whether I should wait for a strong LOR to be submitted by Oct 1 or upload a generic chair letter now (never worked with the chair directly) to complete my application which was submitted Sept 15 (currently have 2 letters in, which I am confident are strong). Applying to Peds if that makes any difference. If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

You can always add a fourth letter later...

You have 4 LOR slots. Upload what you have now, upload #4 if/when you get it.