blessedchild

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Please help. I haven't been in school for so long and haven't been in contact with any of my professors since then. How can I ask two science professors for LOR? Have anyone been in this situation? Any ideas would help. Thanks

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Please help. I haven't been in school for so long and haven't been in contact with any of my professors since then. How can I ask two science professors for LOR? Have anyone been in this situation? Any ideas would help. Thanks
Can you at least track them down and get in touch with them. You are going to have to update them with what you've been up to since you took the classes.

Lurchdubious

the Homeless Ninja
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2007
VA
Status
Dental Student
i would write up a summary that outlines what you've been up to for 3 years, then give that to them when you ask them if they would be able to write your LOR. it couldn't hurt to throw in some highlights of your performance from when you were in class to maybe jog his/her memory too.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
The appointment with the professors are going to have to be more substantial than somebody who is in class or just finished the class.

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
I was out of school for 5 years and found this to be the hardest part of the application process. I was however, able to track down some professors to ask for LORs. The ones I asked happened to keep records of all the classes they've taught, so they were able to verify I took their class and what grade I got. Surprisingly, one actually remembered me even though I didn't really go to that many office hours. The others that didn't remember me said they could write me a rec, but it would be pretty generic but considering I did well in their class, they were willing to at least make it sound positive. Make sure to prepare a resume and personal statement for them to read when you meet with them to go over the letter process.

bounty101

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Non-Student
I had to take a couple of courses years after graduation for the sole purpose of getting a LOR. The slight GPA boost was nice too. If you're applying next month, there's not enough time for that (which brings up the question, why are you just now thinking of this?). If that's the case you have no choice but to go talk to old proffessors. Bring a 1 page summary of your achievemnts and future plans and a copy of the transcript showing you took his/her class. Profs get hassled for LORs all the time so you won't be the first former student to approach them. I'll bet most will understand and accomodate you. It might be a more generic letter, but that's better than nothing!