LOR for MD/Ph.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NikoSuave

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm strongly considering applying to md/phd programs next year. I know you are generally allowed to send more letters of recommendation that for straight md programs. Should there be a balance between profs who had me in class and people with whom I've done research, or should it be heavily research experience loaded. It would seem to be it should be the latter, but I thought I would get some other opinions.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I would recommend you send it all. Send the typical MD required course recs, the volunteer/clinical recs, etc... Then on top of that include a LOR from each research mentor you've done work with and anything you else you have to support that. Part of the reason is that often you cannot tease out who you need to send the MD letters and who you need to send the MD/PhD letters. Some schools may also not consider your file complete until they get the required MD letters.

My application included 9 LORs. Yes, this is kind of extreme, but I think it was warranted in my case because I had a bunch of extracirricular and research experience and I thought that all my letters were very strong. If this is the case for you as well, I think you shouldn't worry about sending too many.

Good luck!

most MD/PhD programs ask to see LORs from everyone you have ever done research with. Throw on your usualy couple of class letters and I ended up with about 6 LORs (4 research LORs and 2 class LORs). So the actual breakdown between class and research LORs is usually just a reflection of the number of research experiences you have.
More is not always better - I
think my 4 letters was a little anomalous. I would expect more in the 2-3 ball park for most applicants - especially since programs want to see significant (i.e. long term) research experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Fast responses!

I'm not sure I could get nine recommendations and have them ALL be good, but I think I can do six :D . I am working on getting a long-term project, though most of my experience are of the summer variety. Before deciding on biomedical research and medecine I was all over the science map. I actually did synthetic organic chemistry for a summer (way more interesting than making aspirin in a lab course). Hopefully that won't seem too bizarre.

Thanks for the food for thought!

I had 8 letters, 7 from research mentors (some that happened to be my professors as well) plus a committee letter composed of several letters from professors I had that sent them to the premed committee.
Bottom line is you want as many great research letters as you can get (hopefully everyone you've done work with).

you should have recs from all profs you did research under (unless it was a really insignificant project or long time ago).

That said, many schools set a max at six. and, i really think you should try not to exceed 7.
More may or may not be good.
Just remember, a "good" letter will "watter down" (make seem less important" your "excellent" letters. Then again, it's sometimes hard to judge how people write.

And, i think it's good to have someone totally not related to science classes (non science class or EC), becaue you ARE also applying to MD.
Sonya

oh yeah, i think 2 is definetly too little. because most people have 4-6, i think.

sonya

call me simply but you should not forget to get letters from people who know you best. as for md/phd, make certain the letter contains evidence of your interest in academics and love for research. so if you get 7 great letters from people who know you very well- thats great. if it is only 3 but they are great- that will most likely work.

Letters from all research advisors?

I currently have 3 + 1 non-science, 1 committe, 1 personal. Is that suffiecient. I have two other professors that I have worked for in a research setting, but chose not to ask. I thought the 3 were sufficient (some put a limit on total letters). One of the professors is at my university and has written me a letter before. Should I go ahead and get a letter from her as well? The other is a colleague of my PI that I worked for in Stockholm and it would probably too late to get a letter from him in a timely manner.

Originally posted by Cal_Irish04
Letters from all research advisors?

I currently have 3 + 1 non-science, 1 committe, 1 personal. Is that suffiecient. I have two other professors that I have worked for in a research setting, but chose not to ask. I thought the 3 were sufficient (some put a limit on total letters). One of the professors is at my university and has written me a letter before. Should I go ahead and get a letter from her as well? The other is a colleague of my PI that I worked for in Stockholm and it would probably too late to get a letter from him in a timely manner.

Be careful and prepared to explain well why you haven't provided a letter from a person you did research with. No letter can be worse than a mediocre letter since it raises so many questions.

If you truly have a good reason and you make a good case, it won't be a problem, however.

Take care.