LOR for WashU scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolate-e

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are/have applied for a WashU scholarship: who did you ask to write your LOR? Or, more specifically, has anyone *not* asked a professor? I'm in a bit of a dilemma ... unless I ask a prof who already wrote me a LOR for admission (not even sure if this is allowed), I'm hard-pressed to think of one who has "first-hand knowledge of [my] academic ability and personal qualities." (All profs--at least at my small school--know their students' academic abilities; personal qualities are quite another matter.)

Of course, the opposite is true as well--the people who know you well personally don't necessarily know you academically. The best compromise I've thought of so far knows me pretty well personally (gone to church together for 9 years, family friend) and somewhat academically (taught ESL together one summer and took a counseling class together; she actually also looked over some of my college bio tests & papers when she wanted input for a HS class she was teaching) ... but is it acceptable to have someone who's a friend rather than a professional acquaintance write an LOR?

Arg. This is making my head hurt ...

Members don't see this ad.

I asked a professor that had already written me a letter of recommendation. I didn't really have anyone else and they didn't say that it should be anyone different. Although I don't know what was in that packet, I assume they asked some specific questions that hopefully could add to my application.

The compromise you have in mind sounds good though - I feel like it's pretty open-ended.

i actually called to ask about the issue of having a professor who wrote one of my other letters write my scholarship letter as well. he said that, while it is allowed, if there's someone else who can write a letter, that's better, since they have all of the letters in our file at their disposal. that said, if the same professor could write a different letter emphasizing different qualities, etc, i'm sure that would be good too. by the way, my letter-writer showed me what's in the oh-so-mysterious packet... it's just a piece of paper asking the question we're already told about and an admissions catalog/school overview packet thing. very unexciting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one of my LOR referees write specifically for the scholarship, emphasizing the mutual benefit of my attendance at wash u for me and the program and some updated info. I am hoping it will do the job!
:luck: Treg

Hi, I received Wash U's scholarship packet a few days ago, and I was wondering, was anyone else NOT asked to write any sort of essay? I seem to remember others posting on this site, and one of the presenters during interview day saying as well, that a short essay would be required for the scholarship application. But the instructions in my packet only ask me to check a box on a form and give the sealed packet to my evaluator.

Thanks!

dandelion said:
Hi, I received Wash U's scholarship packet a few days ago, and I was wondering, was anyone else NOT asked to write any sort of essay? I seem to remember others posting on this site, and one of the presenters during interview day saying as well, that a short essay would be required for the scholarship application. But the instructions in my packet only ask me to check a box on a form and give the sealed packet to my evaluator.

Thanks!

I wasn't asked to write an essay, either ... no complaints about that :), but I too had heard that it was required soo ... hopefully the didn't just forget to tell us? Hardly seems like WashU would "just forget" somethng ...