LOR from 2-3 years ago still acceptable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbeginnings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my science/non science LOR, one is from August 2012, and the other June 2013. I graduated 2013, applying this cycle. I'm planning on getting a new science LOR from a post bacc class I am finishing up this quarter, so I'll have 1 new sci LOR dated 2015. I'll also have another new 1-2 LOR (2015) from my EC's..

Can I still use those older LOR letters from my professors? I mean, I can ask them to update the dates, but it has been a while and I feel super awkward because my plans had changed (I ended up not applying in 2013).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ask your professors to change the dates and update your letters.

Ask your professors to change the dates and update your letters.
One of my professors no longer works at my school and I'm trying to find where he moved (might be out of the country, last I heard). Is it acceptable to have the older letters combined with very recent ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read in other threads from the adcoms that they prefer you LOR to be from within the year, for instance last cycle is acceptable but farther than that, is not recommended. Agreed, try to seek out whatever professors you can to update Letterheads, if not, send in the most recent and max they will take.

I have read in other threads from the adcoms that they prefer you LOR to be from within the year, for instance last cycle is acceptable but farther than that, is not recommended. Agreed, try to seek out whatever professors you can to update Letterheads, if not, send in the most recent and max they will take.
Yeah I'm planning on having the new 2015 LOR from a professor.. And the 2013 one because I think 2 years might be ok. But for the 2012 one, I will try and find him since he's no longer at my school. God it's gunna be soooo awkward!

Yeah I'm planning on having the new 2015 LOR from a professor.. And the 2013 one because I think 2 years might be ok. But for the 2012 one, I will try and find him since he's no longer at my school. God it's gunna be soooo awkward!

You really should check what the LOR guidelines are for the schools you are applying to. You probably shouldn't guess on this.

Reactions: 1 user
What schools are you applying to? Each school takes a somewhat different stance on LORs, but in general, more recent is better. Try to get your letters updated, but if you can't find the professor, you may want to contact the school and ask if they will accept it given your current situation.

You really should check what the LOR guidelines are for the schools you are applying to. You probably shouldn't guess on this.
I've checked out some of the schools and it doesn't mention anything about the date/how old. I've also emailed a couple of schools yesterday.. I'm hoping to get a response next week.

just wanted to give an update in case anyone had the same question: I emailed a lot of schools and 9/10 of them said that old letters are completely acceptable, esp if paired with at least 1 new one. one school said it wasn't okay, so I suggest emailing the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of my letters were five years old. I think I turned in the max number of letters. My rabbi's letter and my physician letter were both updated.

Reactions: 1 users
just wanted to give an update in case anyone had the same question: I emailed a lot of schools and 9/10 of them said that old letters are completely acceptable, esp if paired with at least 1 new one. one school said it wasn't okay, so I suggest emailing the school.
Awesome! I've always found emailing the school to be the best way to get answers- you would be surprised at the flexibility they are willing to provide for a lot of things if you just email them. There's usually one that tells you no (PCOM in my experience lol!) but they're very accommodating

Reactions: 1 user