SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

LOR from a biology professor...will this work??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by fayew, Apr 13, 2007.

1. fayew

fayew New Member 2+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2006

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lgwdnbdgr

lgwdnbdgr 10+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2006
    I used my PI and her husband for two of my letters, even though I've never taken a class with either of them. No school seemed to have a problem with that.

4. vishrava

vishrava 2+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Just from personal experience, UCSF is kind of a pain when it comes to LOR, as they ask for letters from teachers that taught you 'science' courses. I had to go to three different professors before UCSF would accept my 'science course' recommendation (as apparently Marine SCIENCE and Environmental SCIENCE aren't science courses anymore). But that's just old gripes coming back. Otherwise yes, I agree most schools won't be too picky.

5. lgwdnbdgr

lgwdnbdgr 10+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Yikes! Did they give the rationale for that?

6. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    i think that letter will meet the requirement.

7. pmantz

pmantz Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I just did my orgo and biochem profs. Plus the lib arts.

8. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    My experience is that LORs are pretty much pro forma. Schools don't pay a lot of attention to them unless you bring them up. However, the stronger the LOR, the better because you never really know what adcoms pick up on when they skim a pile of 2K+ LORs. Mostly I get the impression that the first glance the LORs get results in a checklist being accomodated. Bio? Check. Chem? Check. Dentist? Check. If at some point down the line you need more/different, this is likely to happen after the interview.