LOR from a junior college professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ftown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The professor I'm asking about was a physics teacher who I had a great relationship with. I'm just wondering if it carries less weight if it's from him as opposed to someone at my current university or does it not make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure why it would matter as long as the person write you a favorable review and believes in your endeavors. An why would they put "junior college" professor on the letterhead? I think you are worrying way too much.

The letterhead would have the name of the school, making it clear that it's from a junior college professor. I would think it would be slightly better to get letters from people at your current school, but if it's an exceptionally good letter you should go ahead and use it. Do you have one from some type of bio professor at your current school? As long as you also have one from a currant science professor it should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one from my bio teacher at my current university. I think this physics professor knows me better than most other teachers so I think he could write one of the better ones for sure

I have one from my bio teacher at my current university. I think this physics professor knows me better than most other teachers so I think he could write one of the better ones for sure
You just answered your own question. Plus this is only one of three letters from professors in most cases.

There is nothing wrong with an LOR from a CC prof. A CC prof just teaches the first two years of college, which is still college.

There is nothing wrong with an LOR from a CC prof. A CC prof just teaches the first two years of college, which is still college.
People have told me that we should use LOR from prof with PhD. Is that the case?

People have told me that we should use LOR from prof with PhD. Is that the case?

Don't most CC profs have PhDs nowadays - especially the tenured science profs? At any rate, I doubt people will devalue a college prof's LOR just because the initials are missing.

I will have LOR primarily from CC teachers, but to counteract this (in my mind anyway) I took classes from teachers who have a PhD. I doubt it actually matters though.

One of my CC teachers used to teach neurobio at a medical school, so just because they teach at a CC doesn't make them less qualified to teach (or write LORs) than a current 4-year univ teacher.