LOR from a non-science professor. Is adjunct lecturer okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazybutt26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am collecting LORs right now. A few schools that I want to apply to want a non-science professor letter. I've majored in psychology so I thought getting a LOR from a non-science professor would be easy! But it turns out that all the psych courses that I took were by upper graduate students or a part time lecturer that is not even affiliated with my school! I've got one philosophy class that I took as a freshman that I really did well in, I truly enjoyed the class and formed a great relationship with the professor. I emailed him the other way and he says he definitely remembers me and would be happy to write the letter. The only thing is, he suggested that I ask full professors as he is only an adjunct lecturer-But does that really matter?
I've got letters from 2 science professors (one of them is from a distinguished professor quite known in the field), 1 from a physician, 1 from my employer and 1 from PI.

As long as the adjunct professor/lecturer can attest my qualities to be a physician, I don't think it matters honestly-but what do you guys think? Please help!

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If the non-science adjunct is fully prepared to write a strong LOR for you, that's good enough for me.

I, for one, am okay with a non-science adjunct's LOR.

In the past, I have read some awesome LORs from "adjuncts" who are well-respected in their field and who simply enjoy contributing some of their time, knowledge and expertise to a local University (even though they already have their own professional careers outside of adjunct teaching).

The adjunct should prepare the LOR on the letterhead of the University Department with which the adjunct lecturer is employed (e.g., Department of Philosophy). They'll know what to do ... no worries. Just make sure they're fully prepared to write a strong LOR for you.