1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

LOR from A nurse Vs a Doctor

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gildas, Oct 2, 2004.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. gildas

gildas Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Mesa Az
    Which one do you think adcoms will give more weigh? a LOR from a RN or a doctor?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus! 5+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    What do you think?

4. gildas

gildas Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Mesa Az
    any thought?

5. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Probably depends on who knows you better. If you've worked closely with a RN and she(or he) knows you well then go for that, it'll be a lot better than a doctor you've shadowed a few times.

6. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow 10+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Personally, if they are equal in praising you, I will go with the MD but if the RN LOR is personal and more conveying then I will go with that instead of a lukewarm "he shadowed me few times" MD LOR.....

In my case I had LOR from MD and PA and the advisor told me (I didn't read them) that they both are pretty much same so I went with MD LOR...

7. eralza

eralza Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Virginia
    Go for diversity!
    My LORs included two undergrad science professors, two physicians, my graduate advisor, and my old commanding officer (RN) from when I was in the Navy. All gave a different perspective.

8. Unless it's a NP....I'd go for the LOR from the doctor...

9. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy! 10+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Pacific NW
    agreed.
    :thumbup: