Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

LOR from a physician required for admission?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by novawildcat, Apr 28, 2007.

1. novawildcat

novawildcat Senior Member

I know schools don't require a LOR from a physician, but is a LOR from a physician one of those things that are really unofficially required to gain acceptance, like volunteering? do a lot of people gain admission without a LOR from a physician?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician

Most people have mostly academic LORs and maybe one or two from research PIs. Nontrads often have a former employer as well. There is no requirement of a physician letter for allo programs (I think there is for osteo), but certainly those folks who worked for MDs in a substantial way will want to get such a letter.

4. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    No, not at all

5. brianmartin

Resident [Any Field]
    According to the director of admissions at OHSU (she spoke to a class I was in), it is a VERY good idea to get letters from physicians that you have either worked or shadowed with. They like it a lot.

6. Vano

Resident [Any Field]
    Speaking for MD only, I don't know DO reqs. Is it required? No. I got in with a clinical LOR from a nurse. However, if you worked with a physician close enough that he/she can and is willing to write you an LOR then get it.

7. pcguy2

pcguy2 Minneapolis Master

Medical Student
    You can get in with a hole (no clinical, no research, no volunteer, lowish GPA, lowish MCAT) but you better back that up with something wonderful.

8. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    Would you consider a lack of a letter from a physician a "hole?" I wouldn't, and I certainly wouldn't consider it on par with the negatives you listed.

9. Kfire326

Medical Student
    When I read "You can get in with a hole" I was like o man, Step 1: Cut a hole in a box. lol

But seriously, I applied to MD schools and 1 DO school with a committee LOR. No LORs from anyone in health care went into that letter - all professors. I got into MD schools AND the DO school. Supposedly, a DO LOR is an unofficial req. for DO schools, but I think not...not if you're a strong applicant and have a good interview (I got an acceptance in the mail less than 2 weeks after interviewing).

10. pcguy2

pcguy2 Minneapolis Master

Medical Student
    Step 1: Cut a hole in the box
    Step 2: Put your junk in the box
    Step 3: Let her open the box

And thats how we do it....

if you don't know what i'm talking about... you're missing out!

11. foofish

Medical Student
    Most med schools actually discourage a LOR from a physician, unless it's a doctor you've worked for or shadowed. A random character-reference LOR from a physician--say, your own--saying you'll make a great doctor is worthless and annoying, and takes up the place of a valuable LOR.

12. Falco2525

Medical Student
    I second this...they want from people who really really know you well

13. enigma85

Medical Student
    I agree with most of the previous posts. That being said, an outstanding letter from a physician you have worked with closely (and obviously knows the rigors of medical school and the challenges of being a physician) can attest to your ability to excel in medical school and beyond. A strong letter from an MD will offer a different perspective from, say, the letter from your chemistry professor, because they can include anecdotes about what you've seen of medicine/patient care and write about your experiences in a volunteer/healthcare setting.

Two of my letters are from MDs--one whom i did clinical research with/shadowed and one from my basic science PI who still sees patients in the clinic a few months a year and whom I also shadowed.

But, again, by no means necessary for admission to any allopathic medical school.