LOR from a physician required for admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novawildcat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know schools don't require a LOR from a physician, but is a LOR from a physician one of those things that are really unofficially required to gain acceptance, like volunteering? do a lot of people gain admission without a LOR from a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

I know schools don't require a LOR from a physician, but is a LOR from a physician one of those things that are really unofficially required to gain acceptance, like volunteering? do a lot of people gain admission without a LOR from a physician?

Most people have mostly academic LORs and maybe one or two from research PIs. Nontrads often have a former employer as well. There is no requirement of a physician letter for allo programs (I think there is for osteo), but certainly those folks who worked for MDs in a substantial way will want to get such a letter.

No, not at all

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the director of admissions at OHSU (she spoke to a class I was in), it is a VERY good idea to get letters from physicians that you have either worked or shadowed with. They like it a lot.

Speaking for MD only, I don't know DO reqs. Is it required? No. I got in with a clinical LOR from a nurse. However, if you worked with a physician close enough that he/she can and is willing to write you an LOR then get it.

You can get in with a hole (no clinical, no research, no volunteer, lowish GPA, lowish MCAT) but you better back that up with something wonderful.

You can get in with a hole (no clinical, no research, no volunteer, lowish GPA, lowish MCAT) but you better back that up with something wonderful.

Would you consider a lack of a letter from a physician a "hole?" I wouldn't, and I certainly wouldn't consider it on par with the negatives you listed.

When I read "You can get in with a hole" I was like o man, Step 1: Cut a hole in a box. lol

But seriously, I applied to MD schools and 1 DO school with a committee LOR. No LORs from anyone in health care went into that letter - all professors. I got into MD schools AND the DO school. Supposedly, a DO LOR is an unofficial req. for DO schools, but I think not...not if you're a strong applicant and have a good interview (I got an acceptance in the mail less than 2 weeks after interviewing).

When I read "You can get in with a hole" I was like o man, Step 1: Cut a hole in a box. lol

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box
Step 2: Put your junk in the box
Step 3: Let her open the box

And thats how we do it....

if you don't know what i'm talking about... you're missing out!

Most med schools actually discourage a LOR from a physician, unless it's a doctor you've worked for or shadowed. A random character-reference LOR from a physician--say, your own--saying you'll make a great doctor is worthless and annoying, and takes up the place of a valuable LOR.

Most med schools actually discourage a LOR from a physician, unless it's a doctor you've worked for or shadowed. A random character-reference LOR from a physician--say, your own--saying you'll make a great doctor is worthless and annoying, and takes up the place of a valuable LOR.

I second this...they want from people who really really know you well

I agree with most of the previous posts. That being said, an outstanding letter from a physician you have worked with closely (and obviously knows the rigors of medical school and the challenges of being a physician) can attest to your ability to excel in medical school and beyond. A strong letter from an MD will offer a different perspective from, say, the letter from your chemistry professor, because they can include anecdotes about what you've seen of medicine/patient care and write about your experiences in a volunteer/healthcare setting.

Two of my letters are from MDs--one whom i did clinical research with/shadowed and one from my basic science PI who still sees patients in the clinic a few months a year and whom I also shadowed.

But, again, by no means necessary for admission to any allopathic medical school.