LOR from an ADCOM member?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angel03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My honors professor is writing a lor for me. He is on the adcom at University of Florida and is also a pediatrician. UF is the place I really would prefer to go and I asked if him writing a lor for me would be a conflict of interest. He said it would be fine, that he just wouldn't be allowed to interview me.

So my question is whether this would play in my favor? Would this look good to the other adcom members or would they just look at it like any other lor? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

angel03 said:
My honors professor is writing a lor for me. He is on the adcom at University of Florida and is also a pediatrician. UF is the place I really would prefer to go and I asked if him writing a lor for me would be a conflict of interest. He said it would be fine, that he just wouldn't be allowed to interview me.

So my question is whether this would play in my favor? Would this look good to the other adcom members or would they just look at it like any other lor? :confused:

Ethically, they should look at it the same as any other LOR. However, UF does have the reputation of being inbred so it may help you more than another LOR would.

angel03 said:

I bet it depends on their opinion of him - but I'd bet it's good. If one of your friends gave you advice, would you take it more seriously than if a stranger did?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ofcourse it plays to your advantage. It certainly would not make up for sub-par mcat scores or gpa, but if your application is par or above par, you certainly would be getting an interview. :thumbup:

I have a similar question, I've been volunteering and working for someone who used to be on the adcom of a school I'd really like to get into.. I've gotten the impression from him that he didn't leave under the best circumstances.. Do you think it'd be a bad idea to have him write a LOR for me? I'm torn because he can tell them about tons of volunteer hours and clinical experience but I'm afraid his name might not help.. might actually hurt.. :confused:

angietron3000 said:
I have a similar question, I've been volunteering and working for someone who used to be on the adcom of a school I'd really like to get into.. I've gotten the impression from him that he didn't leave under the best circumstances.. Do you think it'd be a bad idea to have him write a LOR for me? I'm torn because he can tell them about tons of volunteer hours and clinical experience but I'm afraid his name might not help.. might actually hurt.. :confused:

I guess I would ask him. If he used to be on an adcom and is pulling for you to get in, he should be upfront with you and tell you if he thinks that a letter from him would hurt you at that school. Definitely ask him to write a letter and use it at other schools.

Its less a matter of what the circumstance were and more a matter of whether or not they respected/valued his opinion when he was there. Even if there were hard feelings, if they respected his opinions they should value the input on a LOR written by him. (unless, of course, they are extremely juvenile)

Thanks everyone for the replies...it's just a question I have been wondering about for quite a while.

But the inbred thing? What is that supposed to mean? Apparently I don't know UF's reputation very well... Could you enlighten me?

angel03 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies...it's just a question I have been wondering about for quite a while.

But the inbred thing? What is that supposed to mean? Apparently I don't know UF's reputation very well... Could you enlighten me?

This is only hear-say so take it for what it's worth. I've heard that knowing people and having connections at UF is one of the best ways to get in. Of course, I have no evidence other than anecdotal to substantiate this.

angel03 said:

I think this may have something to do with the fact that UF has a tendency to take people who have had past affiliations to the school through relatives or other ties to the school. But that's just heresy that I've heard. Don't know the truth to this.