LOR from an attending that just finished residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LotaPower

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm doin an away down south and I have had the chance to work with an attending who I have developed a good rapport with and who I believe could write me a strong letter. The thing is that he just finished his residency a few months ago and I think my letter will be the first one he's written for a student. What weight will this letter hold since he is "new"? I know the SLOR has some questions about "how many letters have you written" and stuff like that.

Also, I already am getting a LOR from someone else at the same program who is on the admissions panel. Is it ok to get 2 letter from the same place and is it worth getting a letter from the new attending?

Members don't see this ad.

LotaPower said:
Hey all,

I'm doin an away down south and I have had the chance to work with an attending who I have developed a good rapport with and who I believe could write me a strong letter. The thing is that he just finished his residency a few months ago and I think my letter will be the first one he's written for a student. What weight will this letter hold since he is "new"? I know the SLOR has some questions about "how many letters have you written" and stuff like that.

Also, I already am getting a LOR from someone else at the same program who is on the admissions panel. Is it ok to get 2 letter from the same place and is it worth getting a letter from the new attending?

:confused:

anyone?

I would say a good letter never hurts, just as long as you arent counting on it as your ace.

Also there's really no problem with two from the same place.