LOR from an English professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaCasta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took an advanced level english class and the professor, a PhD, said she really liked my writing and when she found out I was a bio major she said it would be a shame if I did not do something In English as well. I was flattered and also thinking if I should get a LOR from her as it may help to show I have a strength in a non-science area. Or do medical schools mainly focus on LORs from science courses?

I figure it can't hurt

Any thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting a letter from an English prof. Heck, as long as you meet the basic requirements with the rest of your letters and as long as your prof knows you well and can write you a strong letter, there's no reason not to get a letter from her.

Defacto standard for rec letters is 2 science, 1 non-science from what I remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
schools dont want just science profs, though they would like at least 1 or 2 from ones that know you well

I took an advanced level english class and the professor, a PhD, said she really liked my writing and when she found out I was a bio major she said it would be a shame if I did not do something In English as well. I was flattered and also thinking if I should get a LOR from her as it may help to show I have a strength in a non-science area. Or do medical schools mainly focus on LORs from science courses?

I figure it can't hurt

Any thoughts...

I got a letter from a polisci grad student (who instructed the course without a professor) for exactly this reason.

I was an English major so I used an undergrad English prof and my graduate school English prof. Just make sure the professor doesnt say "he should be a writer not a doctor" ;)

I had letters from an English prof and an English instructor.

i was also an english major. i had one LOR from my committee at my school, one from an english professor, and one from a close family friend who graduated at the top of her class from the med school i want to go to. so, i think that the english letter might be good if all your other letters are science professors....they want to know you are a well-rounded individual.