LOR From Associate Professor at UNLV-SDM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silvo83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I prepare my application for the upcoming cycle, a question/concern that has come to mind is in regards to a LOR I have received from and associate professor whom I conducted oral cancer research with. I am confident that it is a strong letter, but will using a LOR from a professor at UNLVSDM make me seem exclusive to UNLV-SDM?? Could this essentially hinder my chances at schools other than UNLV-SDM?? I know I may be overanalyzing this as the stressors of the fast approaching cycle loom on the horizon, but any insight that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

As I prepare my application for the upcoming cycle, a question/concern that has come to mind is in regards to a LOR I have received from and associate professor whom I conducted oral cancer research with. I am confident that it is a strong letter, but will using a LOR from a professor at UNLVSDM make me seem exclusive to UNLV-SDM?? Could this essentially hinder my chances at schools other than UNLV-SDM?? I know I may be overanalyzing this as the stressors of the fast approaching cycle loom on the horizon, but any insight that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to you all!

absolutely not. if anything it'll strengthen your application because a dental school professor can attest to your work ethic. the way i look at it, is that it'll make you look great to all dental schools, and it'll make you look even greater to the UNLV adcom.

if you're instate, have this letter, and you did decently on the DAT you're set for UNLV.

Thanks preDENT1210, I appreciate the input! I'm really hoping things will line up! Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I suppose you are a resident of Nevada to do research at UNLV SDM. I do know some school do not care if you have additional letters, but if I were you, I would just submit it anyway. You will definitely get into UNLV dental school if you have a letter there, assuming your GPA DAT and EC are good.

absolutely not. if anything it'll strengthen your application because a dental school professor can attest to your work ethic. the way i look at it, is that it'll make you look great to all dental schools, and it'll make you look even greater to the UNLV adcom.
if you're instate, have this letter, and you did decently on the DAT you're set for UNLV.

By this logic, an LOR from a McD super would also be dandy.