LOR from doctor at hospital where my dad works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Str8Baller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, how positively/negatively would a (very strong) LOR from a doctor at a hospital where my dad works be viewed? I spent 100+ hours in the hospital with this doctor and developed a very strong relationship with him. I am worried that schools may see a non academic affiliated MD writing the letter and discount it, as there is a possibility he is a good family friend or something like that.

This letter is not necessary...I have three letters from other professors. Do I have anything to lose by including it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

No, there is nothing to lose. Whether the physician has an academic affiliation or not is irrelevant if the letter has nothing to do with research or your academic qualifications. In general it isn't really recommended to get letters from physicians you're shadowing - what are they actually going to say that's useful? - but I suppose that's not really the question you're asking. That, though, will matter more than the physician's affiliation or lack thereof.

As the title says, how positively/negatively would a (very strong) LOR from a doctor at a hospital where my dad works be viewed? I spent 100+ hours in the hospital with this doctor and developed a very strong relationship with him. I am worried that schools may see a non academic affiliated MD writing the letter and discount it, as there is a possibility he is a good family friend or something like that.

This letter is not necessary...I have three letters from other professors. Do I have anything to lose by including it?
Provided the letter relates to your recent professional relationship and not whether he dandled you on his knee as a baby and knows your dad, it's fine to use it. Most MD schools don't give a lot of weight to a shadowing letter, but it won't hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Provided the letter relates to your recent professional relationship and not whether he dandled you on his knee as a baby and knows your dad, it's fine to use it. Most MD schools don't give a lot of weight to a shadowing letter, but it won't hurt you.

Hahah....yeah I actually didn't know him before I started spending time in the hospital with him, I just didn't know if the possibility of him being a family friend completely discredits the letter.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll include the letter.

This letter is completely acceptable and no one will question it. If he were your godfather or something, that would be a different story.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not mention the part about being a family friend. I would hope the doctor is aware of this.

I got a letter of rec for a job from someone that described knowing someone from childhood and it focused on the character etc and it read like the person was using their supposed influence to try to help with personal knowledge over professional knowledge. That applicant wasn't interviewed for the position and my bosses agreed. The letter totally discredited the applicant.