SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

LOR from employer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MDsomeday22, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MDsomeday22

MDsomeday22 Guest 7+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    I work in a research lab and I'm going to ask my supervisor for a LOR. Now, what should I ask him to focus on while writing my letter? Is it best for all LOR's to touch on why I would be a good physician or can they just be about my current job?

I was just wondering if any of you have gotten feedback from admission committees about the content of your LOR's.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. corranh314

corranh314 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Just my opinion, but I don't think it would hurt to have a LOR from an employer, but yes it should touch on why you would be a good physician. The letter can talk about how you do a good job at whatever you job is, but be sure to ask him/her to write about why you would be well suited for medicine. Ideally, you want two letters from science professors (one from a research PI if possible and another from a science class you took, I would recommend a professor from a lab course). Also, get a non-science professor who knows you well. Then, above these 3 basic recommenders, you could add in extraneous recommendations from someone who supervised your service work, someone you shadowed, and someone you worked for. Then again, there's probably no right answer here, just an opinion. Good luck. :)

4. jennifermov

jennifermov 10+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2005
    around the corner
    interesting....i've never actually given instruction on what the LOR should include.....corranh makes some good points, though.

unless your boss is really young, i would just trust his instinct if i were you....i'm sure he's written plenty in his day.....

5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    The LOR writer should state the facts and observations about your job performance and character and give examples. The writer may also express opinions about your suitability for a career in medicine ("I would gladly have Joe Jones as my physician" is a typical comment).

An LOR from an employer should state how long you've been with the company, your role and/or duties and the noteworthy results of your efforts.
    Employers can speak to your work ethic, your ability to get along with others and your capacity as a "team player". An emplioyer can describe how you overcame a difficult situation with a client, supervisor or co-worker, your willingness and quickness to learn new things or help out, and even something about your social skills and temperment.

This is all very useful info to an adcom.

6. MDsomeday22

Mar 2, 2007
    Thanks guys/gals :)

My boss is a Nobel laureate and an MD, so I figured it would be worth it for him to write me a letter.

7. jennifermov

jennifermov 10+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2005
    around the corner
    oh yeah, then he totally already knows what to include....more so than any of us! :)

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh yeah! Some adcom members get excited to read a letter from a Nobel laureate. I felt the same way reading a LOR from my favorite varsity hockey coach! :laugh:

Go for it as long as they guy really knows you by name and reputation. If he's the big guy and there are several levels of supervision between the two of you, the letter may be far less informative and that may reflect badly on you.

9. MDsomeday22

Mar 2, 2007
    Good point . . . . he is definitely the "big guy" around here and I wouldn't say that we have a close relationship. Maybe my immediate boss (an MD) could write the letter and big guy could also sign it?

All in all, an awesome letter from my immediate boss would be better than an impersonal letter from the big guy, even if he is a Nobel laureate . . .

Thanks!
    :D