Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LOR from family friend...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CoolRunnings, Apr 9, 2007.

1. CoolRunnings

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I'll spend 40+ hours shadowing a family friend-- a PM&R doc. Would it be inappropriate to ask for a LOR from him?

2. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think it would be okay, as long as the letter is written from a professional point of view rather than a family friend angle. I'm sure it will work out fine.

3. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree. It may hold less weight in the eyes of the adcomm since the person is a family friend, but I don't think it could ever negatively affect your application.

4. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    do you even have to mention that it's a family friend? you could just proceed with it from a purely professional standpoint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :idea: :thumbup:

6. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's fine. I think the only requirement is that it's not a family member for most schools.

7. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Generally the LOR writer starts off with how he/she has come to know the applicant.

8. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Right...OP, perhaps you could shadow the family friend's partner or someone they recommend?

9. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, this would be a better idea. OP, as soon as the adcom reads, "I first met {Your Name} when he/she was still in diapers," your letter will lose street cred. Shadowing a partner makes a lot more sense. :luck:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly. If they are a known family friend then some schools won't accept the letter and probably all others will give it less weight. On the other hand, if they are a family friend I'm sure they would understand that its important that the letter be written from a purely professional standpoint. All they need to mention is that you requested to shadow them, and then whatever content falls into based upon your interactions with them. I had a family friend write me a letter, and he wrote it as if I was any other pre-med student that he knew rather than how we met, etc

11. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    even if the person writes how they have come to know the applicant, i'm guessing if the person has enough brains to be a doctor he/she has enough brains to keep it strictly professional and discuss the personality traits he/she has observed in the clinical setting. i say go for it OP, except if said family friend is like on google and such posing w/ your parent or you or some national way to know about it.

12. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The med schools won't know he/she is a family friend unless they say so in the letter. It probably will carry less weight if they write "I've known Bob since his dad and I met on the golf course 15 years back..." Instead they could just write "Bob has shadowed me since June of 2005 for 2 hours a week...." and then go on to write about what they learned about you while you shadowed them. As long as they keep it professional it shouldn't be a problem. And most letter writers know that.