LOR from famous Professor--cosigned or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zogoto

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If med schools see a recommendation letter from a Nobel Prize winner (or equivalent), is it fishy if the letter is signed by just him? I work in such a lab, and the way recommendations often work around here is that the postdoc or grad. student that you actually worked with writes the letter, and the professor (Nobel Prize winner, who is so busy that I have met him like 4 or 5 times total), reworks it (actually his secretary does) and then signs it by himself. Will a letter like this come off as fishy because everyone will know that there's no way that the professor actually knew all that stuff about you, considering that there would be specifics about my project and my day-to-day habits? Would it be better to have the post doc or grad student co-sign it to add some credibility?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless they are doing research in the field/at the same medical center, I think it is likely that people who interview you or read the LOR will not even realize that they won a nobel prize. And they are not going to spend their time of the day analyzing the how close you two can possibly be together.

i don't really see your point here...a grad student won't add credibility... you could've written the rec yourself...who cares as long as the prof signs it...meaning he agrees with what's in it....whether he agrees with it because someone (in this case the grad student) told him it is so or because he knows it from first hand knowledge is irrelevant.