LOR from medical dean to another school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swineanon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A physiology course I am taking in undergrad is taught by a professor who also is a professor and dean at a medical school close by. I have helped out with setting up labs, I have shown interest in the material, and I have done very well in the course which is comparable to what is taught at their medical school (>90 average, almost 2 SD's over the mean).

After going over my AMCAS application with the professor on why I might not have been accepted this cycle/why I am waitlisted, the professor told me that they would have no issue recommending me for admission to their school in the next cycle. I absolutely hate the weather where I go to undergrad (and where the medical school is) and I've been unhappy for my four years of undergrad here because of it.

How absolutely rude would it be for me to ask the professor to write me a LOR for the school I am waitlisted at describing my academic strength in the course (my GPA/MCAT are on the low side) and my great involvement with things related to the course outside of lecture? I also have other updates for the waitlisted schools such as starting a program for premed students to go to rounds, I have given a speech on end of life care/DNR, etc. that I feel would help support my application. I was hoping that this type of LOR would push my application "over" the bump for a better waitlist position.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It was very nice of him to make that offer to you. Accept the offer for next year, but also ask him to write you one for the school you're waitlisted at. I'm sure he'd understand that you're eager to begin your medical education and do not want to wait an additional year.

Absolutely accept the offer for a LOR, especially because he offered it. It just might make the difference and push your application over the edge.

Hi all,

A physiology course I am taking in undergrad is taught by a professor who also is a professor and dean at a medical school close by. I have helped out with setting up labs, I have shown interest in the material, and I have done very well in the course which is comparable to what is taught at their medical school (>90 average, almost 2 SD's over the mean).

After going over my AMCAS application with the professor on why I might not have been accepted this cycle/why I am waitlisted, the professor told me that they would have no issue recommending me for admission to their school in the next cycle. I absolutely hate the weather where I go to undergrad (and where the medical school is) and I've been unhappy for my four years of undergrad here because of it.

How absolutely rude would it be for me to ask the professor to write me a LOR for the school I am waitlisted at describing my academic strength in the course (my GPA/MCAT are on the low side) and my great involvement with things related to the course outside of lecture? I also have other updates for the waitlisted schools such as starting a program for premed students to go to rounds, I have given a speech on end of life care/DNR, etc. that I feel would help support my application. I was hoping that this type of LOR would push my application "over" the bump for a better waitlist position.

Thank you

You can definitely ask for the letter of recommendation for your waitlist school, but if that does not work out, take the opportunity for the letter at your home institution. I understand you've been miserable due to weather, but that would be a terrible reason to decline an opportunity to attend a particular medical school especially considering you would've been rejected the previous cycle. I absolutely hate hot weather more than anyone I know, yet the 4 years of undergrad I experienced in one of the hottest (and humid) cities in the country were amazing. Are you really willing to decline a potential opportunity to attend medical school because of the weather?