LOR from not-so-good-english professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I transferred schools this year and I'm applying this next cycle. New school, new professors that I dont know and I just found out that my packet for the pre-med committee is due toward the end of february. They want us to have two LORs from professors and I only have 3 that I could really ask. First is my ochem prof and I know that I can get one from him for sure. Another is my virology prof, but I dont know him too well. I've been to his office a couple of times, I participate in class and all but I dont know if he could really write a convincing letter based on just that. My third option is my physics prof. The guy is really nice, I know him fairly well (better than I know my virology prof) and he could probably write a better letter, based on the fact that I've had a lot more interaction with him during the course of the semester. However, the guy doesnt speak the greatest english. He understands fine and speaks fairly well....but he always mixes up things when he talks, I'm not talking horrible english but errors are noticeable for sure. I'm just a little hesitant on who I should ask...someone who couldnt write a good letter simply because he doesnt know me too well, or someone who could write a good letter but doesnt speak english very well. maybe I should just ask him to make sure it gramatically correct, but I dont want to offend him because he really is a nice guy and I have him again next semester.
I'm probably going to choose the option to have my letters and stuff kept from me seeing them, so I wont get to see any of the letters or what is written. Anyone else ever run into this kind of situation?? Advice would be much appreciated:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Go with the professor that knows you better and would say better things about you. He is a college professor, he can manage to construct a couple paragraphs saying how great you are at figuring out how fast a block is sliding down an incline.

I would go with the one who knows you better as well. If you have concerns about his ability to write the letter, bring them up with him. State the importance of the letter to you and ask if he feels comfortable writing the letter for you. You should be able to gauge his comfort level/interest when you ask directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
any reason not to request letters from the school you transferred from?

You want letters from people that know you and your abilities (not just in classes where you happened to get a good grade.) A letter full of errors from someone who knows you well > a letter from someone that doesn't know you... I've read hundreds of letters from profs that go

"John took Organic I and II with me. He scored xx out of xxx on the examinations, placing him in the top 5% of all organic chem students. I have reviewed his resume and spoke with him about his career aspirations. I think he will make a good physician and recommend him without reservation. Feel free to call me with any questions."

waste of paper... or these days, waste of a PDF.

So I transferred schools this year and I'm applying this next cycle. New school, new professors that I dont know and I just found out that my packet for the pre-med committee is due toward the end of february. They want us to have two LORs from professors and I only have 3 that I could really ask. First is my ochem prof and I know that I can get one from him for sure. Another is my virology prof, but I dont know him too well. I've been to his office a couple of times, I participate in class and all but I dont know if he could really write a convincing letter based on just that. My third option is my physics prof. The guy is really nice, I know him fairly well (better than I know my virology prof) and he could probably write a better letter, based on the fact that I've had a lot more interaction with him during the course of the semester. However, the guy doesnt speak the greatest english. He understands fine and speaks fairly well....but he always mixes up things when he talks, I'm not talking horrible english but errors are noticeable for sure. I'm just a little hesitant on who I should ask...someone who couldnt write a good letter simply because he doesnt know me too well, or someone who could write a good letter but doesnt speak english very well. maybe I should just ask him to make sure it gramatically correct, but I dont want to offend him because he really is a nice guy and I have him again next semester.
I'm probably going to choose the option to have my letters and stuff kept from me seeing them, so I wont get to see any of the letters or what is written. Anyone else ever run into this kind of situation?? Advice would be much appreciated:thumbup:

any reason not to request letters from the school you transferred from?

You want letters from people that know you and your abilities (not just in classes where you happened to get a good grade.) A letter full of errors from someone who knows you well > a letter from someone that doesn't know you... I've read hundreds of letters from profs that go

"John took Organic I and II with me. He scored xx out of xxx on the examinations, placing him in the top 5% of all organic chem students. I have reviewed his resume and spoke with him about his career aspirations. I think he will make a good physician and recommend him without reservation. Feel free to call me with any questions."

waste of paper... or these days, waste of a PDF.
well, I pretty much severed all ties to the school. I was very unhappy there. But I did have a professor or two that I liked and got to know real well, I could look into it if I needed to I guess

The professors aren't going to hate you for transferring schools. You should contact them if they can write you good letters. I also agree that you should use your physics professor. He'll almost certainly get his letter edited if he's not confident he hasn't made any errors. It'll be fine.