LOR from Ochem teacher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copingmethods

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I did very well in my OChem class this past quarter, and my TA said she thought my teacher would definitely write me a letter. I put together the usual stuff suggested to give the letter writer: transcript, CV, tests from his class, personal statement, etc.

I was thinking of also writing a short note about why I think I was an exceptional student in his class, outlining aspects of my effort, my rank in the class, problems on the tests that I got that very few people did. By including this, I hope to make his work easier (and of course to help myself get the best letter possible).

My question is, does anyone think that including something like that comes off as too presumptuous or arrogant?

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest leaving out information outlining your effort and the questions you did well on. Also, I suggest not explaining why you think you are an exceptional student. I suggest talking to the professor in person a few times before you ask for a letter to be written. Ask him/her if they would be willing to write a favorable letter for you, and ask them to include your class rank in the letter. You will probably get a much better letter from someone who can talk about your personality as well as your academic capabilities.